PDA

View Full Version : Hardy Heron infancy troubles

siebesadeq
May 2nd, 2008, 05:20 AM
Hello everybody. I've just upgraded my gnome system from gutsy to hardy, and I was wondering if anybody else was having trouble with firefox frequently not responding for a little while?...

tamoneya
May 2nd, 2008, 05:27 AM
ive found hardy to be a little troublesome in hardy and it has been bothering me for several weeks. Two days ago I gave up on firefox and installed Opera. This morning I removed firefox from all of my computers. Firefox has been disappointing me recently anyways. It seems like they have taken forever in releasing Firefox 3 and it isnt all that different.

siebesadeq
May 2nd, 2008, 05:32 AM
Any ideas why Opera isn't a popular web browser; it has only one star in the add/remove programs..

tamoneya
May 2nd, 2008, 05:33 AM
no clue. I think it is awesome and I am going to go into the repositories and attempt to improve its rating.
EDIT: i always use the command line to install things and I thought I would be able to rate the software in add remove.

siebesadeq
May 2nd, 2008, 05:47 AM
Thanks for your reply. Btw, do you use compiz? with software like this the future of the desktop experience looks really bright (and not to forget Awn)

tamoneya
May 2nd, 2008, 05:49 AM
yes i use compiz but i dont really like awn. I tried it for a while and it looks pretty but i found it to not be any better than gnome-panel.

siebesadeq
May 2nd, 2008, 05:58 AM
I've also got screenlet manager and gdesklets installed. I prefer screenlets although I find it annoying that I can only quit it by ending the program in administration- system monitor

phx12noon
May 2nd, 2008, 06:24 AM
Have you tried Seamonkey? I quit using Firefox. I had the same problems you had.

Xiong Chiamiov
May 2nd, 2008, 06:30 AM
I very much like Opera, but I use Firefox (well, technically Swiftweasel) because I have loads of extensions that I can't live without. Another great lightweight browser is Kazehakase, which is built on the gecko engine.

I think many people use Firefox because it's what they've been trained to use. Y'know, the "don't use IE use this instead" thing.

dstin1
May 2nd, 2008, 06:30 AM
I've had the same problems with ff3 with hardy however I am not ready to completely change yet, as I still have problems with Opera. I really don't plan on trying any other browser unless someone can give me a reason why.

If it don't work with opera or firefox then why would something work anyplace else?

stella2657
May 2nd, 2008, 07:03 AM
hi I have been having problems also and have ditched firefox - tried epiphany a bit to light weight.

siebesadeq
May 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
I've been using Firefox for a couple of years now, and I think patience is a virtue;
just like Heron, Firefox is experiencing some infancy problems...

Sef
May 2nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

siebesadeq
May 2nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks Sef

Saint Angeles
May 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
reducing my swappiness fixed the slow firefox issue for me:

http://lwn.net/Articles/85177/

i think i set mine to 10.

i'm not exactly sure why it worked but it did.