View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't resize Partition in order to install Ubuntu

May 2nd, 2008, 05:19 AM
This happens every time I run the Live-CD and from there try to install Ubuntu. I try to give Ubuntu about 35% and leave the other 65% to XP Professional (of my 74.4 GB drive), but then very shortly after I try this I get this error:

"An error occurred while writing the changes to the storage devices.

The resize operation is aborted."

Can anybody help me, as I am sort of a noob at this. I did manage to install Ubuntu via XP, but I can't access C Drive or mount my external Hard drive. (this is why I want to install Ubuntu the normal way.)

Bad Boy Bubby
May 2nd, 2008, 05:36 AM
Well a couple of things to check first. load windows check drive space you cant compress drive space you dont have and if there is sufficient space then do a defrag of the drive maybe several times if it is badly fragged. If the failure is due to a fault on your c drive then the defrag will probably find this.

May 2nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
I've looked all over the screen and can't find a way to start a new thread/post. How? I have a similar problem, but not same: I have installed Hardy Heron under WinXP. I like it, but would now like to install it to a separate partition so that I can permit more space and faster operation. I have plenty of HD space available. So, how can I back out, and reinstall into a dual boot configuration? Thanks.

May 2nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
I made a disc defragmentation to my C drive and then tried to install Ubuntu again and it worked!
I can now access both my C-drive and my external drive!

oh and docklc: go here (http://ubuntuforums.org/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=333)