PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu full of viruses

ralphz
May 2nd, 2008, 03:45 AM
Hi

As far as I know Linux doesn't get infected with spyware but according to this site I have tons of them!

This is what I got once browsing internet ...

Pity there is no way to fight with those who own this site!

SunnyRabbiera
May 2nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
yeh ignore that site, its not really a antivirus/antispyware tool... its a pro spyware tool 0.o

if it was a real tool it would not use the windows decoration, its a sham.

nrs
May 2nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
OMGZ YOU CAUGHT THE GPL! BALLMER WARNED YOU.

noscript ftw.

Totalchaos02
May 2nd, 2008, 03:49 AM
At least you haven't picked up the Terrorist.Bad virus.

acelin
May 2nd, 2008, 03:49 AM
Hee hee

Saint Angeles
May 2nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
gotta love stupid windows advertisements.

i like how i'm never bugged about buying new linux software. these popups are always designed by 40 year old virgins living in their mom's basement, trying to get the world to download their viruses so they can get their rocks off.

elvinatom
May 2nd, 2008, 04:11 AM
Oh NO, that's pretty bad! Which reminds me ... I haven't scanned my walkman in a while.

RazorEdge
May 2nd, 2008, 04:12 AM
these popups are always designed by 40 year old virgins living in their mom's basement, trying to get the world to download their viruses so they can get their rocks off.
Or maybe they're actually written by black hat programmers working for organized crime groups (mainly in Russia/China) to obtain personal info to sell on the black market. Such info is VERY profitable when in large quantities remember, and not all programmers are ethical.

That would be a somewhat more realistic analysis of the problem.

vexorian
May 2nd, 2008, 04:15 AM
Bah I hate those rogue anti spyware software, My dad's computer caught it once and it was heck hard to disinfect it , I was actually very close to forgetting about my "never reformat" policy.

diablo75
May 2nd, 2008, 04:15 AM
At least you haven't picked up the Terrorist.Bad virus.

Does this involve a Rickroll video by chance?

Tundro Walker
May 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
OMG! A virus scanner that can detect viral dll's on a LINUX computer! It must be "teh greatest"! Must have now! *Click*

So, here's a suggestion. Any time you get one of those Nigerian 419 scam emails, just reply to it and tell them they can find more contact info for you and your bank at "this link" (which points to a site like that which will infect their Windows computer.) That might be entertaining. I might open a bogus yahoo account just to experiment with that. :)

beercz
May 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! I have seen this quite a few times recently. My colleagues clicking the 'Remove All' button (presumably) on their home systems (laptops and desktops), then the machines shortly appearing on/by my desk, at the office, wanting me to fix them (for nothing of course - "Can you do me a favour ....").

$%£&ing Windows - I hate that piece of *£$%£$ !!!!!!!!!

padams10001
May 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Oh NO, that's pretty bad! Which reminds me ... I haven't scanned my walkman in a while.

Do you mean i can get a virus through audio tapes?? Video tapes as well?? What about from TV??

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! I have seen this quite a few times recently. My colleagues clicking the 'Remove All' button (presumably) on their home systems (laptops and desktops), then the machines shortly appearing on/by my desk, at the office, wanting me to fix them (for nothing of course - "Can you do me a favour ....").

$%£&ing Windows - I hate that piece of *£$%£$ !!!!!!!!!

or maybe better educate your moron colleagues.

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
Do you mean i can get a virus through audio tapes?? Video tapes as well?? What about from TV??

**tin hat spoiler alert**

DrMega
May 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
I would guess that by the definitions of many anti virus tools, everything in Ubuntu would be a virus.

Many tools look for specific instances of specific system files, and check things like the file size and MD5 checksum against their database. As Ubuntu is not Windows, if you could run such an app, I reckon (and this is just a guess because I haven't tried it), it would tell you all sorts was wrong.

The one in the picture is, like others have said, just a dodgy scam though.

beercz
May 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
or maybe better educate your moron colleagues.
I do, all the time, I think it's mainly my colleague's kids or partners. I rarely get this kind of problem on our office Windows machines.

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
I do, all the time, I think it's mainly my colleague's kids or partners. I rarely get this kind of problem on our office Windows machines.

oh, so not company machines? they're bringing their personal ones to work for you to fix? charge them $80, they'll quit bringing them.

Linuturk
May 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Actually, I charge $100 dollars, and I get pretty steady business.

RazorEdge
May 2nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Seems like a lot of you would prefer Windows to remain dominant and virus-ridden, if at least for the business. :D

skymera
May 2nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
I hate these.

My mum who got her first computer last year thought this was real!
So yeah, she entered her bank details and paid £20/$40USD for "Virus Rescue" which infact, was just another virus.

SupaSonic
May 2nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Heh, FF3 told me it was a suspected attack site. A useful feature for Windows it would seem.

BB_DaKraxor
May 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah, use Firefox 3, it won't even let you see these sites.

Ozor Mox
May 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
I hate these.

My mum who got her first computer last year thought this was real!
So yeah, she entered her bank details and paid £20/$40USD for "Virus Rescue" which infact, was just another virus.

Yeah that's what annoying about them. We laugh because we're using Ubuntu or another form of Linux and they look stupid, but I have no doubt that they fool a lot of less experienced computer users.

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, use Firefox 3, it won't even let you see these sites.

iirc, it does let you, if you choose to do so.

Perfect Storm
May 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM

You'll get the flu by sitting next to an open Window in hours on a cold January day.

ktechman
May 2nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
At the office I work at I can't even get them to switch over to FF even after "The Speech" about IE being tied to the OS. They see that big E on their desktop and trust it even though they have fried the 3 computers they have owned on the internet. It is an uphill battle even attempting a conversion to Linux on the Desktop. For instance I hauled my rig to work to "demonstrate" the high points of Gutsy and they seemed either unimpressed or confused, like "is this even going to work?" I don't understand what is so difficult, so I will continue to repair (at $120 a pop) your computers if you want to stay in Windoz land but why???????? finished rambling........

slimdog360
May 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
liars

pricetech
May 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
charge them $80, they'll quit bringing them.

$80.00 my *&%$!!! Minimum fee of $100.00 or I don't even so much as glance at it.
They quit bothering me after a while.

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
$80.00 my *&%$!!! Minimum fee of $100.00 or I don't even so much as glance at it.
They quit bothering me after a while.

calm down, it's just a $ figure.

drascus
May 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
I have always suspected those things just lied and said that you have something wrong in order to get you to buy. This confirms it. Interestingly I just scanned my computer with Clam AV and found that I had two viruses. I am not sure what that means but OK. oh to update the viruses I found one was a pdf and the other was a inbox file neither were viruses but for some reason clam identified them as such.

beercz
May 2nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
oh, so not company machines? they're bringing their personal ones to work for you to fix? charge them $80, they'll quit bringing them.
Problem is that one of those who "suffers" is my company chairman, my boss. As I fix them in work time I can't charge. As I am on his payroll it becomes "expected".

retrow
May 2nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
The force is strong in this one (FF3)
http://nuclear-imaging.info/files/image/FF3forcebewithyou.png

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Problem is that one of those who "suffers" is my company chairman, my boss. As I fix them in work time I can't charge. As I am on his payroll it becomes "expected".

that's your choice then.

D-EJ915
May 3rd, 2008, 05:16 AM
OMGZ YOU CAUGHT THE GPL! BALLMER WARNED YOU.

noscript ftw.

:lolflag:

I hate those popups, the worst ones are redirects on the page :( I hate those

LeoSolaris
May 3rd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Those are annoying, and dangerous to the new computer users. For everyone else, those blasted sites that keep popping up new pages over and over without cease. Now that's annoying! I actually had one do that with Firefox on Ubuntu a little while back. I finally managed to get it under control, but it was no mean feat.

Leo