PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Essential Things in Ubuntu request

oomar
May 2nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
I think this is the right place for it.... go ahead and move if im wrong...

I just wiped my hard drive and reinstalled ubuntu simply because my laptop hates me and i couldnt figure out what was wrong.Now im at the stage when i need apps... lots of gloriously useful apps... So if it all right then i would like for people to just post the apps that they think people should know about and install and post a SHORT description of them. If you decide to post on more then one occasion then just do an edit instead of a new post to keep it as short as possible.

Ill start!

Azureus: is a amazing Torrent downloader and is a must get!
Amarok: Pretty dang good music thingy-mer-bob.
Google Earth: Those who haven't heard of this are... sheltered at least... It's just a fun little tool.
K3B: disk burning utility that i highly recommend if you don't like Brasero.
dvdauthor: a CLI program that helps with making movies into DVD format so you can watch on ANY dvd player.
ffmpeg: another CLI program that helps convert movies into different formats.... this is very reliable in certain situations but i wouldn't suggest it if you dont know what your doing....
Tor: Great program.... you use this with firefox and privoxy to get around ANY web filter
VLC: Cant believe i forgot... awesome media player... handles like anything!

More to come... these are just a few that i remembered from my old install. Please sticky this if it is in the right category and I get responses! THANKS!!!

Pumalite
May 2nd, 2008, 12:55 AM
Add:
sudo aptitude install build-essential
sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras

iPodAddict181
May 5th, 2008, 10:50 PM
wine anyone? lets face it, sometimes you do need a windows emulator, there are just some stuff that aren't available to linux

gdelta9
May 5th, 2008, 10:57 PM
ktorrent---my ultimate bittorrent client
kvirc--a very nice irc client
nicoitn plus--soulseek client

Pumalite
May 5th, 2008, 11:06 PM
http://www.unix-tutorials.com/go.php?id=861