PDA

View Full Version : Would you advise new users to use Ubuntu 8.04 right now?

aysiu
May 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM
Since we have two competing agenda threads, and people seem to subscribe to the notion of "it works for me, so it must work for everybody" and "it doesn't work for me, so it must not work for anybody," I'm creating a poll where users can vote on whether or not they'd recommend new users install Ubuntu 8.04 or wait.

You can find the competing agenda threads here:
Notice for new users of Linux - Use Gutsy (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768119)
**Notice to New Users- Use Hardy** (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=777791)

seatex
May 1st, 2008, 11:01 PM
Why deny them the Hardy goodness for a whole month? Do it now.:guitar:

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 11:01 PM
Works great for me! I don't how well it will work for someone else, so no comment on that

xzero1
May 1st, 2008, 11:02 PM
Try the live cd first without installing to your hardrive. If you have problems then you will likely have them later. Keep in mind that you may not be able to try the restricted drivers if they require a reboot (sometimes cntrl-alt-backspace instead of rebooting will work for video cards).

frup
May 1st, 2008, 11:17 PM
It works for me and the 8 different computers I have now installed it on.

That covers a wide range of systems
Processors
AMD
Intel

Graphics
Nvidia
Ati
Intel

Dells
Acers

Laptops
Desktops

Wireless
Intel
Broadcom
Ethernet

Printers
Brother
HP

Homebuilt
Store-bought
New
Old.

Everything works great on all these systems. How anything that doesn't work right now will be fixed I don't know as it would probably mean New Kernels or major upgrades that the LTS just won't get.

If it doesn't work for you right now I say you better wait 6 months or stop wining that things that don't really matter don't work.

If you are a new user I say get on board, try it, have some fun. The only way to really learn is to give things a go. My grandparents seriously use Ubuntu and they loved the improvement from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04. They are 81 (tomorrow) and 79.

samjh
May 1st, 2008, 11:56 PM
Since we have two competing agenda threads, and people seem to subscribe to the notion of "it works for me, so it must work for everybody" and "it doesn't work for me, so it must not work for anybody,"

I don't think those two sentences do justice to the "agendas". Rather, it's more like:

"It works for most people, so it should be OK."

...and...

"It doesn't work for me, so there is too much risk it won't work for others."

My advice will be as usual: Try the latest version. If that doesn't work, downgrade to the previous one.

acelin
May 2nd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Try the live cd first without installing to your hardrive. If you have problems then you will likely have them later. Keep in mind that you may not be able to try the restricted drivers if they require a reboot (sometimes cntrl-alt-backspace instead of rebooting will work for video cards).

This is the best idea- I doubt really that Hardy has any permanent problems or any negatives that Gutsy or Feisty or even Dapper didnt have. Except for it has change and it seems some people dont like it.

LaRoza
May 2nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
I find 8.04 to be the best Ubuntu yet.

I would, by default, recommend it for those wanting "Ubuntu". But there are always exceptions.

The first exception is those that have a stable system and don't want to upgrade. I wouldn't recommend people to change if they don't want to. For some people, having something "just work" and not fiddle with it is the best thing.

The second exception is hardware. If hardware won't work in 8.04, I obviously won't recommend it. Of course, I can't think of anything other than very low specs that would restrict users.

acelin
May 2nd, 2008, 12:45 AM
I dont get why certain computers do weird things in one and wont do it in a previous version. It isnt like it is a total redesign, or a much larger system like Micrsoft's problem.

acelin
May 2nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
This soudns like such a Vista discussion. It makes me sick. Really- waiting will not fix hardware issues, and that is all any of this is. This has happened ever since- well, the birth ot Linux.

madjr
May 2nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
i started with linuxmint a year ago and was a good windows to linux experience "out of the box" with all the codecs, flash, envy, panel layouts, mintmenu, etc..

but after i became more Linux savvy, i started getting more and more involved with Ubuntu.

if a person wants something very similar to windows i would not recommend plain vanilla Ubuntu.

linuxmint is clearly an easier transition. Then after they get used to the linux ways of doing things, people get more interested in Ubuntu dev.

jrusso2
May 2nd, 2008, 01:15 AM
Personally I always recommend waiting a month for any new Ubuntu release as there always seems to be issues that need to be resolved that don't get fixed until a month after.

For a new user I would not even recommend Ubuntu anymore I would recommend Linux Mint.

NightwishFan
May 2nd, 2008, 01:18 AM
I recommend to use it now, so far it is rock solid for me but then again I have used it since alphas.

cardinals_fan
May 2nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
I used to recommend Edgy, but now that it's gone...

Seriously, I wouldn't be in a big rush. Hardy didn't cause trouble for me, but it didn't add anything useful either.