PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is Thunderbird (or anything)?

Kymeia
May 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM
I hate this file system. On Windows it's easy to find stuff but in Linux everything is in obscure places. All I want to do is I just installed thunderbird and I want to use it to open my backed up Thunderbird mail folder but I don't know where to look for the mail folder position.

xjb2003x
May 1st, 2008, 10:55 PM
If you just did a default install, try looking in applications - internet

Kymeia
May 1st, 2008, 10:57 PM
No I need to find out where it is (ie the programme) not the shortcut to it

SunnyRabbiera
May 1st, 2008, 10:57 PM
actually once you learn it the linux filesystem makes more sense then the windows filesystem.
your thunderbird profiles are located in your home directory, its hidden so you will have to unhide it by pressing ctrl-h, or going up to "view" and select "show hidden files"

as for the application itself, its in /usr/lib/thunderbird.
Most applications are installed in usr/bin or usr/lib

heartburnkid
May 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Your mail directory is in your home directory. Go to the Places menu, and pick Home Directory from the list, then right click in the folder window and select "show hidden files and folders" (I think that's the verbiage, not at my machine right now). You should see a .mozilla-thunderbird directory appear. That is where your profile is; your mail folder will be in there.

audwan
May 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
You should find Thunderbird in the menu under Internet.

If you're looking for the executable, it is under /usr/bin/thunderbird.

$ which thunderbird
/usr/bin/thunderbird

spiderbatdad
May 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
The folder is in your home directory...hidden: .mozilla-thunderbird.
Filenames that begin with a dot are hidden.
Open your home folder, click view...show hidden files...scroll down to .mozilla-thunderbird.

SunnyRabbiera
May 1st, 2008, 11:01 PM
You should find Thunderbird in the menu under Internet.

If you're looking for the executable, it is under /usr/bin/thunderbird.

$ which thunderbird
/usr/bin/thunderbird

not in all cases, for me its in usr/lib

conehead77
May 1st, 2008, 11:01 PM
When you look at your home folder with Nautilus, press ctrl+h and hidden files will show up.
Then take a look at the .mozilla-thunderbird folder. Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

jakupl
May 1st, 2008, 11:08 PM
this stuff is mostly in your home folder... go there, press Ctrl+H to see hidden files and folders.

but this is not the actual program... not really sure where that is, because I never needed it.
Why would you need that?

the thunderbird launcher just says a command called "thunderbird"

For instace, if you open up the terminal and enter "thunderbird", it will open.

Bruce M.
May 2nd, 2008, 12:53 AM
I hate this file system. On Windows it's easy to find stuff but in Linux everything is in obscure places. All I want to do is I just installed thunderbird and I want to use it to open my backed up Thunderbird mail folder but I don't know where to look for the mail folder position.

You'll get used to the file system soon enough. If you recall your first few days with Windows, you didn't know where things were either.

Linux is not Windows and with a small learning curve you'll learn more about the file system.

Go slow and don't panic, if you have a "backed up" version of your Thunderbird mail there is a very good chance you will NOT loose a single email.

Before anything else where is your "backed up" Thunderbird mail folder that you have?

And is it a backup from a Windows version of Thunderbird?

Like I said - go slow and we can do this, please answer the two queations.

Bruce

Kymeia
May 2nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks all - unhiding folders did the trick but I still think folders names and the sheer number of folders with the same name like "lib" or "bin" is unintuitive compared to say "Programme Files" "Windows" and "My documents" (although Vista has complicated things enormously by putting so much in hidden places which is one reason I still use XP).

I had an old Thunderbird folder with some important mails I didn't want to use (from Windows) - once I found the position of the Inbox folder in USR I just copied the backed up folder to the same location and it worked. Wish there was an easier way to back up and import old mail folders though - should be a function built into Thunderbird really.

Canis familiaris
May 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks all - unhiding folders did the trick but I still think folders names and the sheer number of folders with the same name like "lib" or "bin" is unintuitive compared to say "Programme Files" "Windows" and "My documents" (although Vista has complicated things enormously by putting so much in hidden places which is one reason I still use XP).

I had an old Thunderbird folder with some important mails I didn't want to use (from Windows) - once I found the position of the Inbox folder in USR I just copied the backed up folder to the same location and it worked. Wish there was an easier way to back up and import old mail folders though - should be a function built into Thunderbird really.

Well actually the Linux way is better since more often than not libraries are shared between applications and thus should ideally be kept separately.

muteXe
May 2nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Would you say that the windows file structure is intuitive, or that it's just been ingrained in your mindset from a very early age..?