PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Icons & Boot Probs

The Minder
May 1st, 2008, 09:26 PM
Greetings,

I just upgraded to 8.04 and now have two problems.

The first is that a couple of my desktop icons have changed and I don't know how to get them back. GnuCash and Firefox now represent on the desktop by an icon that looks like a sheet of paper instead of each inherent icon. On the top panel, the original Firefox icon is still visible so it looks like the change is specific to the desktop. All other icons on the desktop are as per spec.

The second question concerns the boot up. The boot sequence seems to stall at the first Ubuntu screen where the 'loading' bar just continues to slide and nothing happens. If I hit <esc> on the boot sequence to display the options I see that the first one listed ends with '216' (I think). Further down there is listing for a '214' and if I select that Ubuntu is happy to boot and load.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dgp1952
May 1st, 2008, 10:43 PM
I had the same problem when I upgraded from 7.10 only it was just the GnuCash icon looking strange. I rebooted and it returned to its original state. Sorry, I don't know how to help on your other problems.

timzak
May 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Try going into the Main Menu, finding the applications, right-clicking, and select to make a launcher on the desktop and see if that fixes it.