PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what have i done today (day5)

Fenris_rising
May 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
hi all.
well its been 5 days since i took my first decisive steps into UBUNTU and other than self created destruction (dont ask) my HH install is great. i have managed to get my DVD RW to act as a DVD player. Also it turned out ready to burn as well, burned a copy of gparted, ubuntu 7.4 and pmagic. lovely lovely lovely. installed further codecs to play my stored music, and had ago at setting my graphic card up with open source ATI drivers. All this has gone fairly flawlessly. I still have an outstanding issue with the menu list of compiz-git, their are no icons only grey boxes but since fiddling with the graphic drivers i can now select each item to turn on/off.
now for my laptop, its been dual booting for about 2 days XP/xubuntu. i decided to install GG 7.10 as my only OS on the lappy. there where some minor problems, the install faltered and took some time to coax onto my machine. once on however things were not good. very sluggish as apposed to Xubuntu. had a think, decided that maybe GG is pushing the limits of my lappy so i try installing 7.04 Xubuntu. no go at all something has gone awry. so i choose my new weapon pmagic. i had a bit of a problem with this, im not sure but i think the icons, are there any? were off the screen, scratch that.........weapon of choice 2 gparted. what a lovely little app.very intuitive and easy to use. basically im a bit out of practice with partitioning so i just deleted all the partitions and formatted back to ntfs. meanwhile i had DL ubuntu 7.04 FF burned it and moved it into the laptop drive. Its in, used ndiswrapper to get my usb wireless going, installed realplayer, 200 updates are coming in now. as a side note i have noticed on both machines especially the laptop an increase in speed and performance. right back to my ubuntuing.

morale of the storey.........dont give up, Ubuntu is worth it!

Fenris

teaker1s
May 2nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
2005 and never looked back, have xp vista but not interested. :popcorn::popcorn:

Fenris_rising
May 3rd, 2008, 01:53 AM
i think i tried mandrake about then but went back to win98 as i hadnt the time to wade through the learning curve. tried knoppix and ubuntu 6.06 2yrs ago on a knockabout PC i had spare, lasted a week, again no time to do it. im not sure what im happiest about at the moment, breaking the M$ ball and chain or discovering lots of lovely apps here there and everywhere on an OS thats so much more fun to use. :KS:KS

regards

Fenris

Fenris_rising
May 19th, 2008, 06:20 PM
well its been 3 weeks since i 'went' ubuntu. everything is gr8!
best of all today ive cracked the network, at least enough to do what i needed. laptop and PC communicate via wireless, and at last ive got my
softmodded xbox1 talking to the PC again so i can stream music and movies from the PC to the Xbox. the xbox is now once again a multimedia entertainment center. ubuntu is just about the best move ive ever made
and the speed between the xbox and PC is at least 3 times faster than the old xp setup. i am, i think, the cat who got the cream :)

teaker1s
May 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM
:popcorn:

Cap'n Skyler
May 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
2005 and never looked back, have xp vista but not interested. :popcorn::popcorn:
after doing the math of M$ and all teh spyware and anti virus for 3 computers--i went with fedora core3 way back when.i did learn a lot--and even that short time ago many linux's (?) LOL were not as easy to install.
'buntu rules!!
from all my tinkering,i think ubuntu is best for new linux users and for the most part--it flat out just works!my experience is above a newb and i dont have any computer education---all self taught/internet taught from cool people who helped along the way.:popcorn: