PDA

View Full Version : why python?

hessiess
May 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM
im wandering why python is universally recommended here for beginners? wouldn't it be better to recommend trying a few languages. JavaScript/java, PHP and C/C++?

Personally I never managed to understand programming until I tried C++, which, in my opinion, is far more logical.

Kadrus
May 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Well Python is easier because it has an English like syntax..I agree that C++ is pretty logical too..but Python is found easier to other..That's why most of new programmers give Python a try..JavaScript is more web development than programming..but pretty easy in my mind..

LaRoza
May 1st, 2008, 07:24 PM
im wandering why python is universally recommended here for beginners? wouldn't it be better to recommend trying a few languages. JavaScript/java, PHP and C/C++?

Personally I never managed to understand programming until I tried C++, which, in my opinion, is far more logical.

In the beginning, it is important to stay focused. The first language is important to learning the fundamentals. This can be done in any language really.

As for why Python is recommended, see the sticky. We had a poll with a thread expressing this forum's views. We have a Why to Love/Hate python thread.

/. disclaimer for said poll.

No need to reiterate it.

(Python isn't universal, see the poll)

stevescripts
May 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM

Higher level languages (Python, TCL, Ruby, Lua et al ... ) allow the programmer to get more done, and to do it faster. They have a shorter
learning curve.

At some point, every programmer should learn how to write C, at least to a reasonable level (my opinion there re C)

This paper, available at http://www.tcl.tk/doc/scripting.html

Scripting: Higher Level Programming
for the 21st Century

was written by John K. Ousterhout, the originator of the Tcl language.

It applies to any other higher-level language as well.

I have no problem with the folks here recommending Python, it is a good language.

You will note however, from the links in my signature, that it isn't my
personal first choice. :)

Steve