May 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM
took 3 tries to get it right had to wait a minute between each one 'nough said

SunnyRabbiera
May 1st, 2008, 05:37 PM
Yeh I am hating that site more and more

meborc
May 1st, 2008, 05:38 PM
'nough said

yes, but since the former way of hiding the letters was cracked a lot of spam bots gained access to places they had no business to... so further methods must be used to make sure the request comes from a person not a program :)

heartburnkid
May 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM
That may be the most retarded CAPTCHA ever.

chucky chuckaluck
May 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
+1 for retarded.

Steveway
May 1st, 2008, 06:07 PM
Well, Jdownloader passes that captcha succesfully.
You should Google it, it's pretty easy and works with many sites like those.

bobbocanfly
May 1st, 2008, 06:11 PM
Thank god im not the only one finding it stupid. Was scared when i couldnt find anyone complaining on Google. Really annoying and seeing as bots seem to be able to get round using the CAPTCHA anyway it seems completely pointless.

Gripp
May 1st, 2008, 06:28 PM
:lolflag:

gotta say its at least creative... (+10 for the retards though!)

Bungo Pony
May 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM
I hate any version of those things. They have to make it as unreadable as possible. Now they add cats into it. Next, you'll have to bark like a dog into your microphone to gain access.

keykero
May 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM
At least they could make the difference between the images more profound. Like fill in the dogs with a solid color or something. Having to look closely at tilted line drawings is very tedious.

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
At least they could make the difference between the images more profound. Like fill in the dogs with a solid color or something. Having to look closely at tilted line drawings is very tedious.

Not only that they put zeros in there so even if you crack the cat mystery you don't know whether to use a zero or an O. L,I,0,O,1 Should be left out of these things

MemoryDump
May 1st, 2008, 06:47 PM
took 3 tries to get it right had to wait a minute between each one 'nough said

cool screenshot too.. what theme are you using? love that Ubuntu button/bar! got links to the files needed?

thxs
-MD

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM
oops double post

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 06:57 PM
cool screenshot too.. what theme are you using? love that Ubuntu button/bar! got links to the files needed?

thxs
-MD

GTK (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/SlicknesS?content=71993 Start Button http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Start+icon+Ubuntu+Debian+Suse+Gentoo+Tux?content=5 2882)
Start Button (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Start+icon+Ubuntu+Debian+Suse+Gentoo+Tux?content=5 2882)

Icons (http://gnome-look.org/content/download.php?content=70299&id=5&tan=42936283)

Saya
May 1st, 2008, 07:00 PM
yes, but since the former way of hiding the letters was cracked a lot of spam bots gained access to places they had no business to... so further methods must be used to make sure the request comes from a person not a program :)
I hardly think Rapidshare cares about bots downloading a file. They only want to annoy the **** out of you to have you buy a premium account.

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 07:00 PM
If you need help installing the start button post back

Samhain13
May 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
These things should be banned.

I just can't see the reason why any one would use an anti-spam method that bots will eventually be able to work out anyway while the thing gets more and more difficult for real people to read.

+1 for retarded

GavinZac
May 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
These things should be banned.

I just can't see the reason why any one would use an anti-spam method that bots will eventually be able to work out anyway while the thing gets more and more difficult for real people to read.

+1 for retardedBanned from Rapidshare? If you don't want to use it, you don't have to.

LaRoza
May 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
I don't know what this rapidshare does exactly, but I use box.net for sharing files. It is free, and there are no thingies like that.

It has problems in some browsers, but it works fine in Firefox.

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
I don't know what this rapidshare does exactly, but I use box.net for sharing files. It is free, and there are no thingies like that.

It has problems in some browsers, but it works fine in Firefox.

I went to gnome-look to download a boot splash this is were I got sent to download it

Fury5000
May 1st, 2008, 07:23 PM
hahaha I did that same cat one the other day and was thinking I had lost my mind. I'm one of those people that can solve just about any puzzle in seconds and then saw this cat one... and found 3 cats and the prompt asks for 4 characters...I said to myself.. there are 4 cats here?....wtf.:lolflag:

Samhain13
May 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
Banned from Rapidshare? If you don't want to use it, you don't have to.

Banned from the World Wide Web.

shifty2
May 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
Those things are useless. Much prefer the ones that are questions, for example at archlinux the question is "this is a forum for what linux distribution". I imagine that stops most bots...

Fury5000
May 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM
yea.. next we will have Stereograms..."stare at the picture until you see the object" blah blah....

http://i25.tinypic.com/oi6p9d.jpg

Bungo Pony
May 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM
This forum has one of those letter filter thingys when you do a search while not logged in. Perhaps admin should consider upgrading it and put penguins in the letters.

heartburnkid
May 2nd, 2008, 12:56 AM
yea.. next we will have Stereograms..."stare at the picture until you see the object" blah blah....

And then I will never be able to join a forum or download a file again.

Seriously, I have a total blind spot for stereograms. I have never seen the picture in one, ever.

oedipuss
May 2nd, 2008, 01:03 AM
What I can't understand is why they won't just show some photos and drawings of various animals and ask you to tick all the cats . I'm sure I've seen something like that proposed and tested somewhere. A bot couldn't crack it without very advanced image recognition techniques, I believe, and it would remain very simple for a human.

LaRoza
May 2nd, 2008, 01:16 AM
What I can't understand is why they won't just show some photos and drawings of various animals and ask you to tick all the cats . I'm sure I've seen something like that proposed and tested somewhere. A bot couldn't crack it without very advanced image recognition techniques, I believe, and it would remain very simple for a human.

I think the best are small math problems, plain words, easy to figure out.

Fury5000
May 2nd, 2008, 01:28 AM
I worked on this problem for a couple forum software groups... its not a matter of the bots being intelligent enough to "figure it out"... they dont really figure anything out. A human programs them to know what an image is. Most sites dont have a huge amount of different combos to learn. Example.. the stereogram I posted is a bad example.. but say it was a bird.. a human sees the bird and tells the program that this image is a bird... and then tells it what the other 20 or so images are. So when the bot gets there that captcha is already broken for X forum software and is free to attack all forums running that one. The true KEY is for each forum or site to make its OWN image. It doesnt need to be hard at all. Just one that everyone else is not running on that package. If this site had a picture of a "house". A bot would not crack it.. but once it was.. you just change it to a "dog"...and so on. Its that simple sometimes. Of course you run into problems with the "blind" users...literally..

@heartburnkid you can see them..its just learning how to see them. Its very hard to see on a computer. Better on a poster size one. If you hold your finger about 6 inches from the screen.. and focus on the finger tip and not the sterogram.. you will eventually see it after the sterogram goes blurry. When they say relax your eyes they mean let them drop focus on anything. When your looking at one and not focused the 3d crap shows up.

KiwiNZ
May 2nd, 2008, 01:38 AM
That may be the most retarded CAPTCHA ever.

please do not use the term retarded .

hellmet
May 2nd, 2008, 01:47 AM
I had to face one of those a few days back, and I completely dropped the idea of downloading what I was about to. I went to isohunt and got it off there..

heartburnkid
May 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
please do not use the term retarded .

*sigh*...

You know, maybe you guys could make a list of all the words we're not allowed to use and put them in the FAQ or something. As it is, I keep stumbling over them and getting chewed out for it. I'd truly appreciate that.

LaRoza
May 2nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
*sigh*...

You know, maybe you guys could make a list of all the words we're not allowed to use and put them in the FAQ or something. As it is, I keep stumbling over them and getting chewed out for it. I'd truly appreciate that.

Retardation is a serious medical/sociological condition. It is, for the most part, improper to use as describing someone that is not in fact retarded.

Same thing goes for various sexualities.

This isn't high school. This is a forum where respect of all humans is mandatory.

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2008, 02:13 AM
And then I will never be able to join a forum or download a file again.

Seriously, I have a total blind spot for stereograms. I have never seen the picture in one, ever.

I can see it but can't make out what it is. It looks kind of like a 4 leaf clover or the bottom of a skeleton key

KiwiNZ
May 2nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
Retardation is a serious medical/sociological condition. It is, for the most part, improper to use as describing someone that is not in fact retarded.

This isn't high school. This is a forum where respect of all humans is mandatory.

Very well put

heartburnkid
May 2nd, 2008, 02:40 AM

I wasn't using it to describe someONE. I was using it to describe someTHING. Namely, the CAPTCHA. If you guys are going to tell me I can't say bad things about inanimate bits of code....

And I haven't even mentioned how you guys seem to be singling me out when the post immediately after mine uses the exact same word.

Look, I'm a geek, I'm a metalhead, and I'm a wrestling fan. Between those, my language goes a little blue sometimes. I realize that some people don't like that, and see it as childish or disrespectful, and for this I apologize; no disrespect is meant. But I would appreciate it if you would give clear guidelines on what can or cannot be said in this forum, and if you would refrain from publicly chastising people. Because that is also very disrespectful to your fellow human beings.

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2008, 03:07 AM
by the definetion the word retarded means "to make slow, to delay" so by definition, and using it in the correct context the captcha is exactly this. though the correct word would be retarding as retarded is an adjective and retarding would be a adverb

toupeiro
May 2nd, 2008, 03:12 AM
by the definetion the word retarded means "to make slow, to delay" so by defination, and using it in the correct context the captcha is exactly this. though the correct word would be retarding as retarded is a noun not an adjective

I see both points of this. If he was indeed calling a person retarded, both KiwiNZ and LaRoza are more than just in calling foul. However, in the manner he did use it, I dont think he was improper or incorrect.

When you set timing on a car, you can advance the timing, or you can retard the timing. If this were an off-topic discussion about cars and I said "well, the timing was a bit retarded, by far the most retarded timing I've ever seen on a late model coupe." Would that be breaking forum rules?

Fury5000
May 2nd, 2008, 03:44 AM
come on guys.. this is getting a little silly.. It isn't "pc" anymore to use the word "retarded" to refer to anything other then a retarded person or ignition timing. I personally think its a little insensitive to use it these days. I dont think your being singled out. It really isn't good to use it on a forum such as this one.

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2008, 03:47 AM
I'm going to go one step further( hopefully the mods don't get offended by this) and say for you to associate the word retarded with someone that is mentally handicapped is out of line and is degrading. The only acceptable way to use the word is in the context that the poster used it in. I have friends that work with the developmentally challenged and the last thing you ever say around them is mentally retarded

Fury5000
May 2nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
I will go even further.. if there is a word filter in effect... add that word to it.. end of story.

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
come on guys.. this is getting a little silly.. It isn't "pc" anymore to use the word "retarded" to refer to anything other then a retarded person or ignition timing. I personally think its a little insensitive to use it these days. I dont think your being singled out. It really isn't good to use it on a forum such as this one.

It's not pc to refer to any human being as retarded(especially one with a handicap). What planet do you live on? and by the way someone with a handicap isn't a "thing" either

Fury5000
May 2nd, 2008, 03:59 AM
My girlfriends brother is retarded. We are both in the medical field. She is very sensitive to this topic. In the medical community here in DC it is acceptable to refer to him as mentally retarded. Can we move on yet?

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
My girlfriends brother is retarded. We are both in the medical field. She is very sensitive to this topic. In the medical community here in DC it is acceptable to refer to him as mentally retarded. Can we move on yet?

Whatever you say chief

MemoryDump
May 2nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
If you need help installing the start button post back
thanks for the links! yeah, I can't seem to figure out how to switch the start-application button. I found a few tutorials and it doesn't seem to work.