PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install ubuntu 8.04

razerita
May 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hi. I get the error "initializing gfx code" when i try to start ubuntu. What could i do?:(

njparton
May 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM
What sort of graphics card do you have?

razerita
May 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Intel 915

njparton
May 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM
Have you installed or is this with the live CD?

razerita
May 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Live cd, i can't boot

njparton
May 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM
It might be a bad CD burn or ISO download then. Try re-downloading the ISO and buring it to CD-R at a much slower rate to be safe.

random006
May 1st, 2008, 03:50 PM
It might be a bad CD burn or ISO download then. Try re-downloading the ISO and buring it to CD-R at a much slower rate to be safe.

I think the answer might lie in another thread regarding a corrupt squashfs. It seems that the iso itself is too big to be burned at least on some systems.

Can you mount the iso directly, as a "virtual CD"? That's how I get VirtualBox to create my installations and it seems to work. Problems exist afterwards but at least the process happens.

razerita
May 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
Can you mount the iso directly, as a "virtual CD"? That's how I get VirtualBox to create my installations and it seems to work. Problems exist afterwards but at least the process happens.

Yes i can, but, how to install with virtualbox?

random006
May 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Yes i can, but, how to install with virtualbox?

Innotek's VirtualBox is a virtual machine creator and player similar to VMware, only free. Using VirtualBox, I now have virtual XP and Ubuntu linux machines that I can run on my Vista box. I can now test out various S/W installs without hurting my "real" system.

You don't say if that is what you are doing, so I'm not sure whether the above would work for you.

The point I was getting at was referring to the ability to mount the iso as a disk image in whatever is your main OS on your computer. An example would be Apple's Disk Utility.

That way you have the option of doing a non-virtual install on your computer, something it seems most people here want to do.