PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NooB help with 8.04 fixes

somguy2u
May 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM
i have been using 7.10 since christmas flawlessly,and when i tried to upgrade the installation froze on me.

I rebooted and used recovery mode to finish the install using:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

once this was completed i rebooted. the Grub menu now shows two versions of 8.04 with their respected recovery consoles along with the windows boot options.

either one that i chose had errors in the xserver and i followed the on screen instructions to fix it, rebooted (still have the crazy GRUB problem). i get to the login screen fine, enter the information and it logs in. screen goes white, no icons, no bars, nothing. somehow i guess a lot of my settings remained, i hit the Email button on my keyboard and evolution comes up, same with the audio key, audacious comes up, and all the other things. but resolution is a very small number and there are no icons, no menu's and i have no idea what to do from here.

i searched but i couldn't find anyone that had a similar problem, if i wasn't searching for the right thing, as i have no idea how to explain this in the search bar,if you could post me to the link i would appreciate it. i'm frustrated. any help? :confused:

Pumalite
May 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

somguy2u
May 1st, 2008, 10:21 PM
i tried this and it didn't fix any of the problems :(

fdisk -l:

divice: /dev/sda1
Boot: *
Start: 1
End: 20022
ID:7