PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] toshiba satellite s2800-200

peter_long
May 1st, 2008, 11:21 AM
hello everyone,

i have been using redhat 9 as the only os on my laptop from some years now and have decided to take the plunge and move up to xubuntu 8.04!

i have burned the desktop iso onto a cd and can see all the files on it (both on a ******* xp box and on my laptop). however, i am unsure as to the next step in getting xubuntu to install.

i can't seem to find anything obvious on the cd to kick off the install. :(

my laptop has grub 0.93 on it and i did think if i could get the thing to boot from the cd, i might get the opportunity to install once xubuntu was running. however, even after a few hours pouring over the manuals for grub and trying a few things in menu.lst, i can't seem to get it to boot from the cd.

i suspect i'm missing something very obvious, so if anybody could give me a pointer as to where to head next, i'd be very grateful.

cheers,

peter

isharra
May 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM
i suspect i'm missing something very obvious, so if anybody could give me a pointer as to where to head next, i'd be very grateful.

Hello Peter,

It's a boot installation disk ("live cd") that already has grub installed. Boot from the cd drive to install xubuntu (it should come up with a grub menu and several options.) If you can't boot from cd then check your bios settings.

[additional note:] Many laptops have a special key sequence in order to boot from cd, mine needs me to press "F8". You may need to check for that too.

Good Luck!

Adurbe
November 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM
you need to press 'F2' during startup

This will list a boot menu for you

On my system you must them press 'c' to boot the cd

Kind Regards,
Adurbe