PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a PlayStation 2?

Chessmaster
May 1st, 2008, 10:54 AM
Hey all,

I have an old playstation 2 that has been sitting around my house unused for as long as I can remember. It still works, so...

...any suggestions as to what I should / could do with it? Has anyone hacked one up before an done anything interesting with one? Is it possible to use as a web browser on the TV? Any suggestions?

And no, I don't want to burn it, sell it, give it away, play games on it, turn it into a fridge or anything like that....just wondering if there are any cool hacking / electronic projects I could undertake with it?

Oh yeah, i forgot to say that it is a "Fat" PS2 not one of those slimline ones.

Cheers

N.N.
May 1st, 2008, 11:06 AM
Sony hosts a website for a "Linux for PlayStation 2 Community" at http://playstation2-linux.com (http://playstation2-linux.com/). Perhaps it could be of interest to you.

Chessmaster
May 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. As I understand you have to pay for "Linux for Playstation" which I don't really want to do. Will keep it in mind though.

Any other suggestions anyone?

swoll1980
May 6th, 2008, 10:44 AM
See if you can trade it for an xbox. Thats what I would do with that piece of crap.

grossaffe
May 6th, 2008, 10:59 AM
http://www.benheck.com/Games/Sony_projects/PS2p/PS2p%201.htm
http://www.briangardiner.com/palmps2/index.html

fissionmailed
May 6th, 2008, 11:02 AM
See if you can trade it for an xbox. Thats what I would do with that piece of crap.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/2593/idortxj3.jpg

xbox fanboys aside. I'd use it for gaming, which there are a ton of great games for the PS2. If you don't game anymore then I'd use for a media player or something. Installing a harddrive in it and using it as a server could be an option too.

PreviousN
May 6th, 2008, 11:02 AM
There are some pretty easy softmods to do to the ps2. If you've got a fatty, you can use an original ps1 disk and have it boot into linux/a diff bootloader just by having a certain save file on your memory card.

You can put in a hard drive if you have the network adaptor, and there are some pretty good open source media center programs floating around for it. Specifically, this program known as SMS is pretty cool.

Do a google search for "ps2scene" and you'll find some cool stuff out.

SuperSon!c
May 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM
buy god of war 1/2 and play the crap out of it.

billgoldberg
May 6th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Mm, I use my ps3 now to browse the internet and stream movies and music from my pc (using mediatomb) but I still have my old ps2 laying here, gathering dust.

I'll try the suggestions made by PreviousN.

@ SuperSon!c

I hear you.

Those games are the two best slashers ever on any platform. And I mastered them both :p

(impatiently waiting for GOW 3)

SuperSon!c
May 6th, 2008, 12:17 PM
aye, they're a couple of the best games i've played in a long time.

Onyros
May 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
buy god of war 1/2 and play the crap out of it.Oh, I do second that.

Dixon Bainbridge
May 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hey all,

I have an old playstation 2 that has been sitting around my house unused for as long as I can remember. It still works, so...

...any suggestions as to what I should / could do with it? Has anyone hacked one up before an done anything interesting with one? Is it possible to use as a web browser on the TV? Any suggestions?

And no, I don't want to burn it, sell it, give it away, play games on it, turn it into a fridge or anything like that....just wondering if there are any cool hacking / electronic projects I could undertake with it?

Oh yeah, i forgot to say that it is a "Fat" PS2 not one of those slimline ones.

Cheers

Play games on it. The platform, old or new, is irrelevant. Good games are always good games. I still play spectrum games that are 25+ years old. Still plenty of great games on the ps2 - most of which can be bought second hand for pennys. I love old hardware.

fissionmailed
May 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Play games on it. The platform, old or new, is irrelevant. Good games are always good games. I still play spectrum games that are 25+ years old. Still plenty of great games on the ps2 - most of which can be bought second hand for pennys. I love old hardware.

+1

One of the best pieces of gaming info I've heard on this forum for a long time. I got Viewtiful Joe at Gamestop for 5 dollars.

Oh course you can also mod a PS2 where it plays copies too.

SuperSon!c
May 7th, 2008, 07:37 PM
+1

Oh course you can also mod a PS2 where it plays copies too.

but we won't talk about that ;)

fissionmailed
May 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
but we won't talk about that ;)

nnnneeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrr

tech9
May 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM
buy god of war 1/2 and play the crap out of it.

god of war I & II are the "bomb"!

I conquered both :)

Fenris_rising
May 7th, 2008, 08:19 PM
google 'afterdawnforums' they have tuts and guides on softmodding your console. i followed the xbox guides and it can turn your console into a full entertainment center. games, movies, music even browse the net through it.

Steel Lord
May 7th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I upgraded to the PS3 a while ago, but I just haven't got the heart to disconnect my PS2 (my 40GB PS3 isn't backwards compatible). So many good games.

Anyway, why not just keep it? Box it up and store it away, then bring it out when you have a kid and have a nostalgia moment. "This is how we gamed when I was your age, son. We didn't even have quantum processing in those days!"