PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no sound macbook 3,1 with hardy 8.04

mkgkg
May 1st, 2008, 10:01 AM
hi,i installed the new hardy version. before i was using the beta one and audio was ok.
now i installed the 8.04 and the audio doesn't work. i added the follow line in /etc/modprobe.d/options:

options snd_hda_intel model =mbp3

after reboot if i try to click the button of the sound i have this error:
No volume control Gstreamer plugins and/or devices found.

so, i go to System->Preferences->Audio and i if click Test i have this error with all the sound playback possible configuration like Autodetect,alsa,oss,pulseaudio:

audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument

i have macbook santarosa 3,1 version.

any idea to solve the bug?:confused:

MTZeon
May 1st, 2008, 02:23 PM
This should be added to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and not options :)

options snd_hda_intel model=mbp3

Reboot and you should have your sound back (it worked for me, macbook 2008)

kingducttape
May 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Same issue as above. Tried the fix but it didn't work. Sound worked fine on Gutsy, then broke when I upgraded, decided randomly to work a day later, and now stopped again. Any help would be excellent...

MacBook Pro Santa Rosa 2.4GHz, Ubuntu 8.04.

d0b33
May 3rd, 2008, 12:00 AM
*bump*

I'm having this problem too, any fix found yet?

This fix wont work for me.

cyberdork33
May 3rd, 2008, 03:56 AM
there are several options you can try:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Apple_MacBook#Crackling_Sound_on_the_left _Channel

d0b33
May 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
OK I got it to work!

Edit:
fix on next page

mkgkg
May 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
can you say which packet did u download?but did u have before this your packets-download my same problem for audio?

d0b33
May 3rd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Edit:

No need to do this, fix on next page

can you say which packet did u download?but did u have before this your packets-download my same problem for audio?

Well I had a clean install of hardy so I got no error messages, I just had no sound.

I cant remember all the packages I'll have to check.

Just do a search for pulse then alsa, then arts in the package manager and install all the related packages.

mkgkg
May 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
what did u mean whit arts?

d0b33
May 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Edit:

No need to do this, fix on next page

what did u mean whit arts?

I installed the aRts sound server control tool.

BTW I noticed that I had a redlight in my headphone port so I launched alsamixer (the gui version "gamix") and ticked the playback button for IEC958 and the light stopped glowing so I fixed that too.

eddied
May 3rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
This worked perfectly on my Macbook 2.4 Santa Rosa:
http://zepsling.wordpress.com/2008/05/03/enable-macbook-sound-in-hardy/

d0b33
May 4th, 2008, 12:05 AM
This worked perfectly on my Macbook 2.4 Santa Rosa:
http://zepsling.wordpress.com/2008/05/03/enable-macbook-sound-in-hardy/

Thanks good tip I'll try it out now since I'm doing a clean install.

Edit:

It worked!

no need to install unnecessary packages

now why I never noticed that...

cyberdork33
May 4th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I added this info to the wiki page.

mkgkg
May 4th, 2008, 04:40 PM
it doesnt work for me. i'added the follow line in /etc/modprobe/options:

i rebooted, and the i have the same problem. if i click with right click on volume icon i have:

if i go on System, preferences,audio and i click on test, i have

audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument

i have macbook santa rosa v3,1.

d0b33
May 4th, 2008, 05:02 PM

i rebooted, and the i have the same problem. if i click with right click on volume icon i have:

if i go on System, preferences,audio and i click on test, i have

i have macbook santa rosa v3,1.

I would try a clean install of hardy personally, make sure it's not the RC because I have the same macbook and not having any problems.

mkgkg
May 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
i reinstalled 2 day ago..i ll do again also because on beta version i hadnt problems.

mkgkg
May 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM
but i think is not a problem of reinstallation.

d0b33
May 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Ok, but you should check the md5 of your ubuntu iso you downloaded maybe its a RC?

MTZeon
May 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM

This should go into /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base !

d0b33
May 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
This should go into /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base !

Tried that and it never worked, when I put it under options I got a "switches" tab under volume control which I used to enable speaker output.

Edit:

Tested it again and both work (options and alsa-base)

m84
May 4th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I can confirm that putting options snd_hda_intel model=mbp3 in either /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base or /etc/modprobe/options works on my macbook 4,1.

However, the sound from the internal speakers is really bad. Only the higher frequencies work, and it is very quiet. Maxing out PCM, Front and master volumes creates very harsh sound. Sound from the output jack is perfect.

Can anyone else confirm this? If anyone knows how to fix this it would be great as this is the last issue i need to fix before i can use ubuntu as my primary os.

Thanks

magik_ocean
May 6th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Can anyone else confirm this? If anyone knows how to fix this it would be great as this is the last issue i need to fix before i can use ubuntu as my primary os.

Thanks

I can confirm this, the sound from speakers is VERY bad.

h_c
May 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I did the following procedure and the sound is working fine on Macbook v3.1 with Ubuntu 8.04.

Add
to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.

Install build-essential package.

Download alsa-driver-1.0.16 from http://www.alsa-project.org.
./configure
make
sudo make install

mkgkg
May 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM
yes..i can confirm..with the newest driver the audio is really better..thanks!:popcorn:

m84
May 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Yup, it increases the volume to a usable level. It doesn't provide the same level of sound quality as 0SX... I think I read somewhere that 0SX provides some sort of post processing to make the sound, well less like a tinny pair of laptop speakers, so that might explain difference.

Thanks

Officer Dibble
May 17th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I've tried adding the afore mentioned line to 'Options' but it won't allow me to save it, I'm told I don't have permission. :(

I also visited the website for the updates ALSA driver, which do I go for, please?

Many thanks for any advice. :)

cyberdork33
May 18th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I've tried adding the afore mentioned line to 'Options' but it won't allow me to save it, I'm told I don't have permission. :(
you have to use sudo....

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-basThis will be the case for pretty much all config files outside your home directory.

cyrano_says
May 18th, 2008, 11:26 PM
you have to use sudo....

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-basThis will be the case for pretty much all config files outside your home directory.

I can also confirm that the process brings the sound volumes to audible levels.

Thx.

vanakush
May 23rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I did the following procedure and the sound is working fine on Macbook v3.1 with Ubuntu 8.04.

Add

./configure
make
sudo make install

hi
first of all thanks for this post
--->im using MacBook4,1 MODEL (MB403LL/A) and everything is working except sound, as i always use a live cd (ubuntu 8.04) i can't reboot to check if sound is working or not after installing updates and alsa-driver-1.0.16. By your given method i was able to install the alsa successfully but pls tell me is there any way to enable sound without reboot
i have also found this link http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-January/005163.htmlto fix this problem as my hardware is 0x106B00A1 but i don't know how to and where to apply this patch. pls help

i used this method to install the driver

(Added
to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.) then

1. sudo apt-get update
2. sudo apt-get upgrade
3. sudo apt-get install build-essential
4. cd '/home/ubuntu/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.16' <-------- extracted package location.
5. ./configure
6. make
7. sudo make install.

is there any way to fix the ubuntu live cd with latest alsa driver?

clebio
November 5th, 2008, 02:13 AM

Add

./configure
make
sudo make install

This does not work for me. I'm on a MacBook Pro (5,1) and installed alsa-driver-1.0.18, since it was the current version at alsa-project.org.

I know that sound from the speakers is not working on the unibody Macbook Pros. Should we address this here, or in a new post? I cannot find any existing posts that address what appears to be a major problem.

cyberdork33
November 5th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I know that sound from the speakers is not working on the unibody Macbook Pros. Should we address this here, or in a new post? I cannot find any existing posts that address what appears to be a major problem.

A new post would be best.

calebio
November 5th, 2008, 02:16 AM

This is me. I guess i have two accounts.... quite by accident. It won't happen again!

calebio
November 5th, 2008, 02:26 AM
A new post would be best.

It's here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6107567).

cyberdork33
November 5th, 2008, 03:06 AM
This is me. I guess i have two accounts.... quite by accident. I won't happen again!

You should make a post in the Forum Feedback & Help forum to have an admin remove your other account as you are only allowed to have one.