PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Driver problems

the walking dude
May 1st, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hi
I'm using a white intel imac and I recentley installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my other partion. I couldn't enable the desktop effects and figured it was becouse I had no drivers for the graphic card (ATY,RadeonX1600). The problem is that I can't use the wi-fi on my Ubuntu partion becouse I have no drivers for it and no other internet option. I can still use the internet in osx though.
Is there anyway I can install the drivers via osx I have an usb harddrive so there will be no problem transferring files?

Sorry for any bad english I'm not from the states.

Rog-Mahal
May 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM
You couldn't use your mac drivers for either your graphics card or your wireless. However, there should be alternatives to both. I think that if your have the ATI X1600 card you have a Santa Rosa chipset, you could start by looking here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook_Santa_Rosa) for more information. You'll need the internet to download the files you need.

the walking dude
May 1st, 2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks I'll try that.

cyberdork33
May 2nd, 2008, 04:01 AM
that card was in old Macbook Pros and iMacs... since he said it was white, I assume it is an iMac.

get ATI driver with the driver manager in system > administration

your wireless should be broadcom, and needs ndiswrapper, and the windows xp driver for your card. The Macbook Snata Rosa instructions should help there.

the walking dude
May 2nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
I've managed to install ndiswrapper and i can find wireless networks and connect to them, but i'm unable to acces internet it's like I'm not connected.
My computer's an imac i must have missed to type the i.

cyberdork33
May 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
I've managed to install ndiswrapper and i can find wireless networks and connect to them, but i'm unable to acces internet it's like I'm not connected.
My computer's an imac i must have missed to type the i.From that, I would guess it is something that needs to be fixed on the network, not your Mac.

the walking dude
May 2nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
I tried to connect to a nearby unprotected network and it worked and I installed the drives for the graphic card. The wireless network I have is an airport extreme and it uses WPA. Do anyone know the problem, now it just askes for the password all the time and no matter how many times I types it, it just keeps asking.

the walking dude
June 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Problem solved I can now use Wifi.
We bought a time capsule to replace the old airport extreme and now everything seems to work.:)

cyberdork33
June 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM
please mark thread as solved (See the Thread Tools menu).