PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install Ubuntu 8.04 with ONLY stable packages?

msghaleb
May 1st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hi All,

I was using Ubuntu 7.10 and it was really great, now I have rebuilt my notebook with 8.04 however I found out the following:

- In the system logs it says "This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org Foundation. ..."

- Firefox is vr. 3 Beta 5

Problems I am facing so far:

- Firefox hangs
- xserver is confused when switching between the docking station and when off the docking station, the resolution is not correct and compiz stops working.
- Evolution suddenly stops working (after putting the notebook off the docking station).

Well I think I've done something wrong, is there is a way (or a link) on how to install Ubuntu 8.04 with only supported stable packages?

Thanks a million

MG

themisanthrope
May 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Sorry, I offer no solution but I'm glad someone else is scratching their head.

Imagine my surprise after the upgrade to 8.04 that Firefox 2.x - which I was thrilled to be running with plugins and extensions (including bookmark synchronization) common across my XP/Linux life - had been displaced WITHOUT MY PERMISSION by not just a different version, but a beta release at that!

The only Y/N type of input I saw go by had to do with Samba (which is also broken now, but that's for another section of the forum).

If I wanted my decisions made for me, I'd stick with Windows. Not a very happy camper here.

ubnewbie2
May 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
Sorry, I offer no solution but I'm glad someone else is scratching their head.

Imagine my surprise after the upgrade to 8.04 that Firefox 2.x - which I was thrilled to be running with plugins and extensions (including bookmark synchronization) common across my XP/Linux life - had been displaced WITHOUT MY PERMISSION by not just a different version, but a beta release at that!

The only Y/N type of input I saw go by had to do with Samba (which is also broken now, but that's for another section of the forum).

If I wanted my decisions made for me, I'd stick with Windows. Not a very happy camper here.

Yes, it's not what I expected. How can they have beta software in an LTS version of Ubuntu?

I'd like to ask about Samba, because the samba client appears broken in a clean install of 8.04 I did today. It doesn't appear to be able to scan any hosts that it finds when you browse the Windows network.