PDA

View Full Version : What features in Hardy make you say wow?

tuskenraider
May 1st, 2008, 07:14 AM
The auto file system check that runs every 20-25 boots. Instead of a loading screen that takes AGES to load like in 7.10, the loading screen actually tells you that its doing an auto check of the file system, it gives you a percentage and even an option to hit ESC to continue on loading the O/S. Thats just one of the many things that i like about hardy thats an improvement over the older ubuntu versions. what about you???

SunnyRabbiera
May 1st, 2008, 07:16 AM
well the effects and stuff have greatly improved and the splash screen is where I need it to be...
so far hardy has no wow factor but it runs pretty well despite some bugs I encountered.

yssida
May 1st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Everything works out of the box

madjr
May 1st, 2008, 07:36 AM
there is no wow factor, but compiz and metacity are more mature and stable.

the wallpaper is very nice.

openoffice 2.4 fixes many bugs i had issues before.

ff3 beta is memory efficient (but sometimes it shutdowns own it's own...waiting for the final).

including transmission and brasero was a great move.

totem-xine works now with dvd menus :)

live-cd options and including wubi was a vast improvement.

still many bugs, but many things are much better, i have to admit.

Hopefully the updates will help with those bugs that many have encounter.

run1206
May 1st, 2008, 07:41 AM
i like Firefox 3, much quicker and hasn't given me any problems (yet...)

corney91
May 1st, 2008, 07:47 AM
The auto file system check that runs every 20-25 boots. Instead of a loading screen that takes AGES to load like in 7.10, the loading screen actually tells you that its doing an auto check of the file system, it gives you a percentage and even an option to hit ESC to continue on loading the O/S. Thats just one of the many things that i like about hardy thats an improvement over the older ubuntu versions.

That's the first thing that came to my mind - I think I actuall DID say 'wow' ;)

RiceMonster
May 1st, 2008, 08:05 AM
Not really "wow" but the fact that I can use compiz with my intel 965 graphics and that it configured my sound card automatically, unlike gutsy makes me happy.

diablo75
May 1st, 2008, 08:32 AM
Improved speed, mostly. Wubi also makes trial installs for potential Linux newbies a snap as well.

Pulse Audio... It hasn't wowed me just yet. Maybe in October....

eragon100
May 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM
1. The fact that I now have no games that have problems with compiz-fusion running (with the desktop cube/3d windows and everything on :)), instead of no games that don't have problems with compiz fusion running :popcorn:

2. The filesystem check, I don't have to use fastboot anymore every time I shutdown my computer, now I can just skip it when it comes up :guitar:

3. Firefox 3 beta 5, handy pause/resume download function + faster :KS

That are the most important improvements for me:)

Roberticus
May 1st, 2008, 11:27 AM
That everything* in 64bit works, just wow!
*Except:
- Flash is abit strange, eating lots of CPU power...
- USplash hangs the bootup, but turning off usplash helps.

bikeboy
May 1st, 2008, 01:14 PM
*Except:
- Flash is abit strange

Same here. Though my only Flash problem is npviewer (the wrapper around Flash) dying sometimes.

I'm sure there are other wows, but I've forgotten them because I've been using Hardy for a couple of months.

tom-ubuntu
May 1st, 2008, 01:14 PM
*Except:
- Flash is abit strange, eating lots of CPU power...
- USplash hangs the bootup, but turning off usplash helps.
Same here; tried again 64bit and it just works :popcorn:

(Except for the samba issues a lot of people encountering...)

ivze
May 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Gvfs, that's one of the best!
The fact that everything, mountable to GNOME virtual filesystem (e.g. FTP, SMB, SSH-ftp), is mounted to the regular filesystem in folder ~/.gvfs makes the life with software, not aware of GVFS, much easier!

cb951303
May 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
+1 for 64 bit

seatex
May 1st, 2008, 01:51 PM
64-bit, looks super sharp on my 1440x900 17" laptop display, and runs fast and snappy! :)