PDA

View Full Version : No Dell Ubuntu for Australia

Tux Aubrey
May 1st, 2008, 05:11 AM
Seems we (Australia) are loosing out on the Dell-Ubuntu deal.

http://www.apcmag.com/dell_to_sell_in_officeworks_but_no_linux_pcs_thank _you.htm

Just for that, I'm not buying a Dell. So there.

:-({|=

Mattaus
May 1st, 2008, 05:26 AM
It's quite annoying that they won't do it here. I wouldn't even think twice about buying a dell laptop if they had ubuntu pre-installed.

As it stands however no one in this country seems to sell PC's or laptops pre-installed with Linux of any kind (proper notebooks, not all these EeePC knock-offs) so looks like i'll have to gamble with compatibility issues.

Guess thats the mainr eason why i'd want dell to sell their gear with Ubuntu, no hardware worries.

Moustacha
May 1st, 2008, 06:16 AM
It's quite annoying that they won't do it here. I wouldn't even think twice about buying a dell laptop if they had ubuntu pre-installed.

As it stands however no one in this country seems to sell PC's or laptops pre-installed with Linux of any kind (proper notebooks, not all these EeePC knock-offs) so looks like i'll have to gamble with compatibility issues.

Guess thats the mainr eason why i'd want dell to sell their gear with Ubuntu, no hardware worries.

I've seen some Acer laptops in ads preinstalled with gutsy. good guys and arrow computer(in WA)

iSplicer
May 1st, 2008, 06:27 AM
Damn, that sucks.

Well, the answer is, don't buy a dell. Simple.

frup
May 1st, 2008, 06:30 AM
Us New Zealanders want it too!

smoker
May 1st, 2008, 07:31 AM
the other major oems should be thinking, 'right, let's get in there quick, and gain the market share that dell are lax about here!'

MobiusNZ
May 1st, 2008, 07:36 AM
Us New Zealanders want it too!
Hell yeah! Bring on the revolution! ;)

master5o1
May 1st, 2008, 09:04 AM
Ubuntu + OEM + Australiasia = Win.