PDA

View Full Version : wuh, isn't Hardy's the best ubuntu wallpaper ever?

vexorian
May 1st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Heh, well just stating my opinion, I like the wallpaper, so much that I hope it becomes a tradition, all of the next planned ubuntu version names are animals aren't they?

cardinals_fan
May 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM
Yes, but that's not saying much.

vexorian
May 1st, 2008, 05:11 AM
Nah, there were many good wallpapers before.

doorknob60
May 1st, 2008, 05:22 AM
I love the Hardy wallpaper, it's sweet :D

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 05:24 AM
ya if you dig the whole poopy brown thing

RiceMonster
May 1st, 2008, 05:33 AM
The hardy wallpaper rules. It actually made me consider sticking with the default ubuntu theme, which is big for me because I hate that ugly orange/brown theme it gives you. I didn't stick with it though, I changed the look of everything, the theme, wallpaper, gdm theme and usplash. Looks even better now (for me anyway).

odiseo77
May 1st, 2008, 06:09 AM
That's one of the Ubuntu wallpapers I like the most too. I also like this one (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Hardy+Heron?content=77351) a lot.

samjh
May 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Yep, definitely one of the best. I also liked the Dawn of Ubuntu wallpaper from I think Hoary or Dapper?

Paqman
May 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM
Blatently, yes.

Granted, wallpaper is probably the first thing any user is going to change, but like they say: you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

SunnyRabbiera
May 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
Yeh this is one of the better default wallpapers out there, very nice and clean compared to the others.

WeeManDan
May 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
I think the new wallpaper and the login are so much nicer, even my fiancee noticed it was nice :)

vexorian
May 1st, 2008, 11:56 AM
The hardy wallpaper rules. It actually made me consider sticking with the default ubuntu theme, which is big for me because I hate that ugly orange/brown theme it gives you. I didn't stick with it though, I changed the look of everything, the theme, wallpaper, gdm theme and usplash. Looks even better now (for me anyway).
I am yet to see the default theme.

I just searched for the wallpaper after the upgrade and it surprisingly goes very well with my whubuntu gtk theme.

Tomosaur
May 1st, 2008, 01:10 PM
I don't curretly have Hardy installed on this machine, but I was fixing my aunty's laptop last night (full of viruses and ad-ware, running WinXP) and decided to run f-prot from a Hardy live-CD I had lying around. The wallpaper is very, very nice. I definitely think all future versions should have a wallpaper for the animal code-name. I might even stick the Hardy wallpaper on Gutsy, I like it so much.

Oh, and F-Prot found and removed all of the malware on the laptop :P

And here it is: Gutsy with the Hardy Wallpaper. I think my black panel goes well with the dark wallpaper :D

seatex
May 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM
I do like the new Hardy Heron wallpaper for the stock theme.

But, I still prefer blue and silver over orange and brown. So, I'm using the blubuntu wallpaper - it's clean and simple, which I tend to prefer.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/sakers/Screenshot-1.png

Ozor Mox
May 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM
And here it is: Gutsy with the Hardy Wallpaper. I think my black panel goes well with the dark wallpaper

Can you please tell me how you got your panel text white? I want a black panel, but it isn't much use when you can't read the text in it!

Foster Grant
May 1st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Heh, well just stating my opinion, I like the wallpaper, so much that I hope it becomes a tradition, all of the next planned ubuntu version names are animals aren't they?

Still brown? Check.

Enough with the brown wallpaper.

Tomosaur
May 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Can you please tell me how you got your panel text white? I want a black panel, but it isn't much use when you can't read the text in it!

This is going to sound silly but I actually can't remember what I did. I know you need to change your GTK theme (even if you use Compiz / Ruby and Emerald) to alter the appearance of the panel lile this.

All I can recommend is that you take a look at http://www.gnome-look.org to try and find a theme which alters the panel.

vexorian
May 1st, 2008, 03:25 PM
Still brown? Check.

Enough with the brown wallpaper.
It's a special brown touch + orange and a lovely heron drawing.

SunnyRabbiera
May 1st, 2008, 05:04 PM
It's a special brown touch + orange and a lovely heron drawing.

Actually is a more pleasant shade of brown, one I find very appealing...
its a reddish brown, a good shade.

dizee
May 1st, 2008, 05:17 PM
The Heron is excellent, and Xubuntu's purple/blue gradient one is great aswell (if a bit Mac OS-ish ;) ).

BTW you can change the panel text colour by adding an entry to your .gtkrc-2.0 file

style "panel"
{
fg[NORMAL] = "#FFFFFF"
}
where #FFFFFF is the html colour code.

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 05:30 PM
I do like the new Hardy Heron wallpaper for the stock theme.

But, I still prefer blue and silver over orange and brown. So, I'm using the blubuntu wallpaper - it's clean and simple, which I tend to prefer.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/sakers/Screenshot-1.png

can you upload that wallpaper please?

seatex
May 1st, 2008, 05:36 PM
can you upload that wallpaper please?

It is in the universe repository, under blubuntu-wallpapers.

Ozor Mox
May 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM
The Heron is excellent, and Xubuntu's purple/blue gradient one is great aswell (if a bit Mac OS-ish ;) ).

BTW you can change the panel text colour by adding an entry to your .gtkrc-2.0 file

style "panel"
{
fg[NORMAL] = "#FFFFFF"
}
where #FFFFFF is the html colour code.

I only have a file called .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2 which says

# Autowritten by gnome-settings-daemon. Do not edit

Edit: Nevermind, I created the file and it works nicely, thanks.

Laterix
May 1st, 2008, 06:18 PM
I really like the GDM screen of the Hardy! I took wallpaper from it and it's great. You can find it from your harddrive at /usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/background.png

Screenshot (http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=2011165.png)

scouser73
May 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah it looks smart, I did change it when I installed Hardy, but when reading this I changed it back.

vexorian
May 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Something very odd happened to me today, my father would actually compliment me for the wallpaper I am using...

jto
May 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
It's elegant. Who created it?

macogw
May 3rd, 2008, 04:13 AM
Yep, definitely one of the best. I also liked the Dawn of Ubuntu wallpaper from I think Hoary or Dapper?

That was Dapper. I wasn't so into it. Edgy and Feisty had really horrible ones. Gutsy's was like the inside of a dark chocolate truffle...mmmmm I like Hardy's well enough, but the early versions of that wallpaper were magnificent.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/Fela_Kuti?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=preview.png

teet
May 3rd, 2008, 05:37 AM
Hardy's default wallpaper is by far my favorite. It's hip, trendy, and, best of all, it was actually an original idea. I feel like all the older wallpapers (with the exception of "dawn of ubuntu") were just a brown ripoff of some mac wallpaper. Don't get me wrong, they weren't bad wallpapers...just unoriginal.

-teet

sXeChris
July 23rd, 2009, 03:44 AM
The Hardy wallpaper isn't bad, but I like the Intrepid one best.