PDA

View Full Version : This is interesting..

blithen
May 1st, 2008, 03:36 AM
Well for recent reasons I had to downgrade to Gutsy 32BIT. But That's not the interesting part.
The interesting thing is that in htop, It's still showing two bars. Like it did in the 64bit version.
As far as I know in a 32bit version the other core of a processor isn't used. Isn't this true?

jimrz
May 1st, 2008, 03:49 AM
nope ... both versions will use multi-cores just fine

retrow
May 1st, 2008, 03:50 AM
@OP: Pardon me if it seems too old school, but all I can say is:

O RLY?

ETA: :p

blithen
May 1st, 2008, 04:11 AM
nope ... both versions will use multi-cores just fine
Really...then what's the point of 64bit?

retrow
May 1st, 2008, 04:17 AM
At present there aren't many applications that take advantage of 64-bit architecture.

forrestcupp
May 1st, 2008, 04:41 AM
64-bit can access more RAM and it can perform instructions that are 64-bits wide instead of 32-bits wide, which means in the right setting, it should be able to do more of certain types of things faster, but only if the program is created that way.

Sef
May 1st, 2008, 04:42 AM
I discovered that it transfers files from my usb to the hard disk much faster. For about 3000 files which took about 30 - 40 minutes on 32-bit, now takes less than 5 minutes on 64-bit.

jimrz
May 1st, 2008, 04:43 AM
At present there aren't many applications that take advantage of 64-bit architecture.

+1 ... in fact none that I currently use/need. In fact, that combined with the fact that there are still some things that present problems with 64-bit but not 32-bit kernels is why I am still running 32-but on my core2duo E6600 desktop. 64-bit, at least for desktop OS's, is still very much a "work in progress" but it is coming and by the time some more of the "rough edges" are knocked off hopefully there will be more apps ready that can actually take advantage of it's capabilities.

blithen
May 1st, 2008, 04:46 AM
So...you mean to say I've been having troubles for flash for...NOTHING. GRRR!! What kind of crap is this! >< Well...that's crap...Oh well. Learn something new everyday.

NightwishFan
May 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM
I tried both and saw no major differences but I perceved a slight general performance increase and I have confirmed it for many things on 64-bit, so I use that. Besides 64bit is the future. :)

forrestcupp
May 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM
So...you mean to say I've been having troubles for flash for...NOTHING. GRRR!! What kind of crap is this! >< Well...that's crap...Oh well. Learn something new everyday.

Flash in 64-bit is simple compared to trying to get Java working in 64-bit.

blithen
May 1st, 2008, 04:48 AM
Flash in 64-bit is simple compared to trying to get Java working in 64-bit.

Java? What is this java you speak of? (:P)