PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Hardy upgrade

bruceb85
May 1st, 2008, 02:58 AM
After a great experiance with Gusty(7.10)dual boot with XP, I decided to try to upgrade to Hardy. After upgrade everything apeared ok but I had no sound. After checking the obvious things,muted channels and the like still no go. Read many threads about sound problems but no help. I even installed Kubuntu programs with no success. I even had it crash on me which never happened before. So now what I would like to know is what is the best way to remove that install and reinstall from a CD without messing with my XP side? Besides the partition that Hardy is installed on, what do I do with the swap partition and also GRUB? Thanks in advance.

bruceb

Pumalite
May 1st, 2008, 03:03 AM
You can install the new Hardy over the old one. Go Manual and choose the old partitions. Ignore /swap. The installer will do the rest. You will have a new Grub with dual boot.

bruceb85
May 1st, 2008, 03:27 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Pumalite
May 1st, 2008, 03:30 AM
Good luck.

bruceb85
May 1st, 2008, 03:45 AM
In Edit partition, I chose to use my sda3 ext3 partition. I guess I need to choose to use as ext3 journaling file system, format the partition then mount point /. Am I correct?

Pumalite
May 1st, 2008, 03:50 AM
Yes.

bruceb85
May 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
The fresh install went very well except still no sound with Rythembox and videos. When I do the Hardware testing I hear sound. When I do the testing in ALSA, I hear nothing. I need sound for online videos and CD's. With Gustsy, I had no problems with this. What could they have changed to mess that up? If I can't solve this soon I may try to go back to Gutsy.

bruceb85
May 8th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Looks like I found a fix for may sound problems. It actually affected Rhythm box, and other players. I uninstalled anything pulse audio. Now everything works now.

Pumalite
May 8th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Good for you!