PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu not loading after update to 8.04? gnome? xserver?

gibberman
May 1st, 2008, 02:30 AM
So, I finished the update from gutsy to hardy and the computer restarted itself, took me to the login screen but the problem is that after I enter my log in and password it does nothing. the screens display black but i can still interact with my mouse...what the **** do i do?:confused:

gibberman
May 1st, 2008, 02:31 AM
i'm using a live cd right now, and i really want to avoid a reinstall...thanks guys...

enk0d
May 1st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Well gibberman did you try logging in under the Gnome safe mode? Change the session type to Gnome safe mode from the options button at the button of the window before typing in your username. If you are able to load like me I simple tried to run the update manager and it gave me a command to correct the issue it was having at the time. I don't remember what it was but I believe it was something like dpkg --configure -a

A window will come up and give the code you need to run in the terminal. Give it a shot because after I let it run its course I was up and running like a champ.

I hope this helps.

gibberman
May 2nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
thanks enkod. i'll try that! :)