PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need a hand...Desperately

qingrenjyf
May 1st, 2008, 01:56 AM
It cost me two and half hours to download all the files for updating the ubuntu this morning,and still 40 minutes more to install all of them.Unfortunately,I had to shut the computer down for some reasons while the packets were installing,and now the ubuntu doesn't work.Is there anyone can help?Thx a lot.:(

Rallg
May 1st, 2008, 02:01 AM
If I were you, I would simply re-install Ubuntu from the CD. It will be best to start anew, and allow the installer to re-format the partition that you previously tried. Since you don't yet have any private files, you will not be losing any documents there.

qingrenjyf
May 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM
Thanks for your reply.The thing is I currently don't have the original CD in hand.And I'm reluctant to download the whole packet due to the limited internet.I hope there's a way to solve the problem...

Rallg
May 1st, 2008, 02:25 AM
The circumstances you described are not good. You are asking for a world of hurt if you try to reconstruct a partial installation.

If you don't have the CD, try getting another one via Bit Torrent. It has the advantage that you can do a partial download, stop, then resume, until you finally get a complete CD downloaded. If your (Windows?) partition doesn't already have Bit Torrent or equivalent, try uTorrent.

agim
May 1st, 2008, 02:33 AM
Are you installing ubuntu 8.04? If so, there shouldn't be that many updates. In fact, I don't know if I have noticed any.

Here is the daily build page. That way, you get the most up-to-date version.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

That way, you won't have the same ridiculous download times on install.

Good luck.

agim
May 1st, 2008, 02:56 AM
And I understand the problem of the long download, but you should always have a livecd handy. For reasons such as the one your describing.

qingrenjyf
May 1st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Thanks for everyone~I think I will download the 700M iso~~