PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless light is off after upgrade

karuzo
May 1st, 2008, 01:50 AM
Hello all,
Just completed an upgrade to 8.04. Strange is that the built-in wireless card indicator remains off while being connected. Just curious.
I run both ubuntu and windows xp on same laptop.
Laptop is an HP pavilion dv8000.
Any thoughts?
Although I can run several commands in terminal I consider myself still new to ubuntu and linux in general.
Thanks,
Doron

garyedwardjohnston
May 1st, 2008, 02:49 AM
is this just about the light or your internet connection?

LeoSolaris
May 1st, 2008, 02:56 AM
I'm using a Dell 1520, and it's wireless light has never come on in Ubuntu, despite working perfectly otherwise. It is odd that it was used in 7.10 but not in 8.04. I simply count it as 10 seconds more battery time. You could try downloading the backports for hardy, from what the forums are saying that works for a few cards.

Leo

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-hardy

karuzo
May 1st, 2008, 03:11 AM
I've been having problems lately utilizing my wireless router - nothing to do with ubuntu. But I can see other wireless networks so I figured it is working. Currently I am hard wired.

karuzo
May 1st, 2008, 03:24 AM
I'm using a Dell 1520, and it's wireless light has never come on in Ubuntu, despite working perfectly otherwise. It is odd that it was used in 7.10 but not in 8.04. I simply count it as 10 seconds more battery time. You could try downloading the backports for hardy, from what the forums are saying that works for a few cards.

Leo

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-hardy

Thanks - the light is still off.

Edit on 05-03-08 - After restarting the computer the light is back on, but remains constant. Usually when it seeks for networks it blinks which it does not do that any more. Just remains constantly on. Personally I am ok with that. Thanks,

karuzo
May 1st, 2008, 03:25 AM

Just the light. I am curious as the light was on on gutsy but not now after the upgrade.

jaddle
May 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I'm seeing the same thing on my lenove x60s - wireless connection is working fine, but the light hadn't turned on since upgrading to hardy. Looks like the backports module did get the light to turn on, but it doesn't work quite like it used to - previously it flickered while trying to associate with an AP, but now it's just solid as soon as it's doing anything, and I don't see it blink at all to show when data is being transferred. No huge problem, but I preferred it before...