PDA

View Full Version : yahooapis.com?

juan@forum
May 1st, 2008, 01:42 AM
what is this?

why i have to allow it to be able to search?

LeoSolaris
May 1st, 2008, 02:31 AM
It looks to be a new Open Source project from Yahoo. What are you trying to search with? I just did a random search from yahoo.com and it came back just fine. It seems to be a tool set for developers, meaning it's used to make applications, but it is not needed to use them.

It doesn't look like you need it to search from yahoo.com, or from browser plugins.

Leo

Lord_Dicranius
May 1st, 2008, 02:44 AM
ubuntu-geek also talks about it here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4761308#post4761308) in his post about the forum upgrade.

Dr Small
May 1st, 2008, 04:11 AM
I'll tell you this much.
After I saw that thing appear the first time, I blocked it in my /etc/hosts file, and then later was wondering why I couldn't reply to threads and javascript wasn't working at Ubuntu Forums.

I soon found out why :p

juan@forum
May 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
i think it sucks...

why should the forum rely on yahoo?

HunkirDowne
May 3rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
I'll tell you this much.
After I saw that thing appear the first time, I blocked it in my /etc/hosts file, and then later was wondering why I couldn't reply to threads and javascript wasn't working at Ubuntu Forums.

I soon found out why :p
Ahh! You are so right! Had to temporarily whitelist in NoScript. Thanks!

areteichi
May 3rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
i think it sucks...

So that it doesn't rely on Microsoft.
Oh wait, they are soon going to be one and the same company. :) (maybe)

llebegue
May 3rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
Am I the only one that feels uncomfortable with vBulletin using Yahoo API when Yahoo is likely to be bought by Microsoft ?

the yawner
May 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
And when was your last update about this supposed merger? Last I heard, Yahoo and MS are not on speaking terms.

On topic, as long as the forums function the way it is intended then I have no issues. You guys drink too much coffee. Heh.

LaRoza
May 3rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
i think it sucks...

Why should the forum rely on any software? The apis are used by the software because it is superior to what they could have done in the time. The Yahoo scripts can be hosted locally if the forum admins decided. Given the load on the servers presently, remote hosting is a welcome relief for the time being.

If you think it sucks, it sucks more without them.

Am I the only one that feels uncomfortable with vBulletin using Yahoo API when Yahoo is likely to be bought by Microsoft ?

Panic! MS has a personal vendetta to screw with existing working javascript files for the sole purpose of bother ubuntuforums.org members.

C'mon, be real.

Chris4
August 2nd, 2009, 07:17 PM

Yahoo rejects Microsoft's bid - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/Yahoo-rejects-Microsofts-bid/2100-1030_3-6229990.html)

v8YKxgHe
August 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Yahoo rejects Microsoft's bid - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/Yahoo-rejects-Microsofts-bid/2100-1030_3-6229990.html)

So, not only did you bump a one and a half year thread, you 'updated' it with a 2 year old news link? That's good going! :D