PDA

View Full Version : Failed attempt at Ubuntu conversion

Toasted Donut
May 1st, 2008, 01:18 AM
Well a couple minutes ago, my dad shot me down in an attempt to convert him to Ubuntu. My dad runs a small-mid size company. He is a business man. He uses computers a fair bit, but he isn't a techie or leet user.I was talking to him one day about his IT department, and I knew that a lot of companies use Linux as a server OS, so I asked him what software he uses. He replied with Windows XP and he said "Linux or something for the servers". My heart jumped, I proceeded to ask what type, but he didn't know. Also our hard drive died so my dad got a new hard drive intalled and I got him to get open office instead of microsoft office, so he is used to some open source. My pitch played out like this: "Hey Dad, do you mind if I install something on your computer (home computer)? Dad:Umm what software? Me: It's like windows but... he stopped me in mid sentence and said "Oh, that U-B-I (he once walked in me booting my computer) thing that you use? No. He detected I was about to pitch him something an he ended the conversation even before I got to tell him anything. Should I bother trying to get him to use Linux, when he clearly isn't interested?

tubezninja
May 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM
I've found that getting a Windows user to try Linux is a lot like getting a drug addict into rehab: it won't work unless they're truly willing to give it a shot, or, have hit rock bottom and have nowhere else to go. :)

If he's not receptive to the idea, forcing him is not the way to try and convert him. He'll look at ubuntu critically and will seek out every little perceived flaw, ad then fixate on them.

What works best for me is to wait until a windows user is clearly exasperated with something. true conversation that happened yesterday:

Windows user: "Ugh, I think I got ANOTHER piece of spyware on my computer at home last night! All these popus started coming up! DO you IT guys ever get these problems?"

Me: "Well, no, not really, but then most of us in IT aren't using windows."

Windows user: "Really? Are you guys using Macs or something?"

Me: "Some of us. And some of use use this free alternative called Ubuntu, that is just as good but doesn't require that you buy a Mac."

That typically piques their interest. :)

I also salvaged an older desktop and threw Hardy on it, and it sits at an open workstation. I make people aware of its presence, and that way the curious can play with it from time to time.

Toasted Donut
May 1st, 2008, 01:45 AM
Awesome, though I probably shouldn't bother my dad about Linux again for a while. Though I do have a friend who is actually interested in Linux and acknowledges that it is superior to windows without me conditioning him :P he frequently asks me questions about it, though he is a bit of a gamer, but I have already explained that most games aren't natively supported (yet) but have also explained emulators and programs like WINE, so, who knows, he may be my next target.

madjr
May 1st, 2008, 01:53 AM
Well a couple minutes ago, my dad shot me down in an attempt to convert him to Ubuntu. My dad runs a small-mid size company. He is a business man. He uses computers a fair bit, but he isn't a techie or leet user.I was talking to him one day about his IT department, and I knew that a lot of companies use Linux as a server OS, so I asked him what software he uses. He replied with Windows XP and he said "Linux or something for the servers". My heart jumped, I proceeded to ask what type, but he didn't know. Also our hard drive died so my dad got a new hard drive intalled and I got him to get open office instead of microsoft office, so he is used to some open source. My pitch played out like this: "Hey Dad, do you mind if I install something on your computer (home computer)? Dad:Umm what software? Me: It's like windows but... he stopped me in mid sentence and said "Oh, that U-B-I (he once walked in me booting my computer) thing that you use? No. He detected I was about to pitch him something an he ended the conversation even before I got to tell him anything. Should I bother trying to get him to use Linux, when he clearly isn't interested?

flood his pc with viruses, works every time :)

nah jk, let it happen naturally, lol

anyway if he's not interested don't do it.

make your ubuntu the coolest (awn, compiz-fusion) and walk around the house with it.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/GNOME-2-22-A-Truly-Amazing-Desktop-80584.shtml

They'll be interested later on.

the best thing u can do is slowly changed all your dads windows software for open source and cross platform ones. :guitar:

cardinals_fan
May 1st, 2008, 01:59 AM
Live and let live. If he likes Windows, let him use it. What's the big deal?

zmjjmz
May 1st, 2008, 02:24 AM
I really don't think you should of said it was like Windows.
You can't convert him in one second, just make it so that Windows looks terrible until he's enraged by it, and then work out with him the steps towards Linux software on Windows so that he won't depend on any applications that are Windows only, then convert him.

enchantedsky
May 1st, 2008, 02:27 AM
He will use Linux only when it is pre-installed on computers one day, and he's forced to use it. Some Windows fans are like that, they'll only use what came with their computer

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 02:27 AM
Sales is all about overcoming objections. If he says no ask him why. He will give you an objection. "I heard it's really hard to install software on Ubuntu" You need to overcome that objection by explaining how easy it is, and then say "So can I install it now or should I wait 'till tomarrow?" If he says no ask him why, overcome the objection, and say "So can I install it now or should I wait 'till tomarrow?" repeat this process untill he runs out of objections. Thats how sales work.

Tux Aubrey
May 1st, 2008, 02:28 AM
As a father of two "know-it-all" teenagers, I'd have to say LEAVE THE POOR MAN ALONE.

I'd also say, "If you know so much, why don't you LEAVE HOME?"

My bigest disappointment is that one of mine, who I converted to Ubuntu a year ago, has just stripped his comp and installed Windows XP so that he can play games with his friends. The funny thing is that he has been working on the installation for two days and still can't get his resolution fixed or his printer working. I have refused all further assitance until he reinstalls Ubuntu.

:)

original_jamingrit
May 1st, 2008, 03:32 AM
Awesome, though I probably shouldn't bother my dad about Linux again for a while. Though I do have a friend who is actually interested in Linux and acknowledges that it is superior to windows without me conditioning him :P he frequently asks me questions about it, though he is a bit of a gamer, but I have already explained that most games aren't natively supported (yet) but have also explained emulators and programs like WINE, so, who knows, he may be my next target.

Yeah, just let it slide for now. I don't really like all of this talk of 'conversion'; it's an OS, not a religion. But there are still so many people who know _nothing_ of Linux. The best thing to do is to just talk about Ubuntu once in a while, answer questions, and wait for him/her/them to decide for themselves that they may want to try it out.

Saint Angeles
May 1st, 2008, 03:36 AM
i found that the use of compiz is a huge help in showing people the light of linux.

the cube alone will make a lot of people's jaws drop.

retrow
May 1st, 2008, 04:07 AM
it's an OS, not a religion.However, like my friend said to me in 2000 when he first introduced (and converted) me to Linux, "Its an OS, not a religion - but in Linux, the DOGma has left the kernel".

Kinst
May 1st, 2008, 04:21 AM
This is creepy. We're not a cult. Yes it's a better operating system, and yes I help everyone interested in it, but just chillax. Getting all evangelist leads to nothing. You don't actually get anything when someone else runs Linux, and he doesn't really get anything if he's not interested in the first place.

'sides, no one's gonna install and configure their own operating system if they don't care about stuff, and I don't have enough care to go around.

cardinals_fan
May 1st, 2008, 04:31 AM
This is creepy. We're not a cult. Yes it's a better operating system, and yes I help everyone interested in it, but just chillax. Getting all evangelist leads to nothing. You don't actually get anything when someone else runs Linux, and he doesn't really get anything if he's not interested in the first place.

'sides, no one's gonna install and configure their own operating system if they don't care about stuff, and I don't have enough care to go around.
Thank you for a reasonable argument.

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 04:34 AM
We're not a cult.

Were am I? Ahhh ahh How did I get here? Who are you people?

schauerlich
May 1st, 2008, 04:36 AM
I installed Ubuntu via Wubi on the family computer, without my Dad's knowledge... I'm hoping he'll see Ubuntu in the bootloader and get curious. :)

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM
I installed Ubuntu via Wubi on the family computer, without my Dad's knowledge... I'm hoping he'll see Ubuntu in the bootloader and get curious. :)

Thats a good way to get grounded. If one of my kids did that they wouldn't touch my computer for a year.

vexorian
May 1st, 2008, 04:50 AM
Why try to convert every single windows user out there? It doesn't make any sense. You should just try to convert windows users that are actually interested in trying something new.

Toasted Donut
May 1st, 2008, 11:12 AM
Whoa, lots of replies and lots of opinions. I used the word "conversion" not in a religious sense but just to sound a bit more sophisticated instead of saying I tried to switch him to Ubuntu. It seems a few people here think I am a die-hard Linux user bent on "switching" everyone to Ubuntu. Not so, I just was wondering if my dad was interested in Linux, when I asked him. (though I admit I prepared to list off all the reasons why I think Ubuntu is better then windows) My friend who is genuinely interested in Linux, knew about it before I starting using it and says he would use it if didn't use a family computer, and I jokingly referred to him as "my next target". Though he would probably switch on his own.

You don't actually get anything when someone else runs Linux, and he doesn't really get anything if he's not interested in the first place.

I agree, you don't, I was simply offering an alternative and seeing if he were interested.

Wobedraggled
May 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Some people are just not ready, they are to used to what they have. Even if it's a bother with viruses and spyware they are unwilling to learn something new.

It took me a good few tries to get the wife over, but now she is used to it.

schauerlich
May 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM
Thats a good way to get grounded. If one of my kids did that they wouldn't touch my computer for a year.

I'm already tech support for him, so he trusts that I won't screw it up. And besides, if he doesn't want it on there anymore, all I have to do is go to Install/Remove programs and it'll be gone in 2 seconds.

heartburnkid
May 1st, 2008, 06:07 PM
Let him use what he wants to use. It's enough that he knows that there are alternatives out there; there's no need to "convert" him.

perspectoff
May 1st, 2008, 06:14 PM
I have transitioned a large business, as well as my 8 year old daughter and a (totally) computer-illiterate wife at home, from Windows XP to Kubuntu.

I could never do it with Gnome, whicdh is a bit frustrating to configure to look and act like Windows XP.

It was an extremely easy switch to OpenOffice, the most ticklish being the migration of small databases with OpenOffice Base.

To ease transitions, I set the menus in Kubuntu to look and act nearly identical to Windows (which is not done by default in KDE and takes about half an hour of effort in rearranging menus and appearance of menus).

Everyone transitioned without batting an eyelash once I tweaked the menus of KDE (tweaking all done from the GUI -- no terminal based tweaking.)

Quite honestly. I had to do the same thing when switching to Windows XP years ago. No one could figure that out, initially, either.

When some departments who still had XP switched to Vista last year, the departments crashed. Some switched back to XP, but some were ready to finally ready to switch to Kubuntu.

Carpe diem and carpe Kubuntu!

swoll1980
May 1st, 2008, 06:19 PM
I have transitioned a large business, as well as my 8 year old daughter and a (totally) computer-illiterate wife at home, from Windows XP to Kubuntu.

I could never do it with Gnome, whicdh is a bit frustrating to configure to look and act like Windows XP.

It was an extremely easy switch to OpenOffice, the most ticklish being the migration of small databases with OpenOffice Base.

To ease transitions, I set the menus in Kubuntu to look and act nearly identical to Windows (which is not done by default in KDE and takes about half an hour of effort in rearranging menus and appearance of menus).

Everyone transitioned without batting an eyelash once I tweaked the menus of KDE (tweaking all done from the GUI -- no terminal based tweaking.)

Quite honestly. I had to do the same thing when switching to Windows XP years ago. No one could figure that out.

When some departments who still had XP switdched to Vista, the departments crashed. Some switched back to XP, but some were ready to switch to Kubuntu.

Carpe diem and carpe Kubuntu!

You can make gnome look and act identical to vista (to the layman) right down to the start menu. Under the hood it would be different obviously, but for E-mail and internet you wouldn't even be able to tell you were using Linux

ezsit
May 1st, 2008, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDavidBurg
I installed Ubuntu via Wubi on the family computer, without my Dad's knowledge... I'm hoping he'll see Ubuntu in the bootloader and get curious.

I hear that! If one of my kids even turns my computer on I reset the BIOS password and remind them to use their own darn computer.

Then again, my kids would try to install Windows since Kubuntu is unfamiliar and doesn't support their games

Eisenwinter
May 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
I tried to convert my boss onto using Ubuntu once.
He's a guy in his late 30s, who doesn't have a lot of technical knowledge about computers, but still manages to find his way around.

He admitted to being interested in Linux for some time, and wanting to try it out, but said he's afraid he won't be able to play all his games.

Then I told him about WINE, and he said he can't convert right now anyway, because of his daughter.

scouser73
May 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
I reckon that you should pester your dad into trying it before it's installed on his pc, that way he gets a "taster" without all the messing about of installing/uninstalling.

Also, speaking of Windows users being accustomed to Windows & Microsoft products, the time I bought this pc it came with OpenOffice.

Not being aware of the open source community and it's products I wondered where Microsoft Office was on the computer, then I noticed it, and you know something open source is excellent. Well of course you know that, you're all Ubuntu forum members.

yamawho
May 1st, 2008, 07:36 PM
We have systems all over the house but the one used most often is the kitchen pc. A few years ago I installed Mepis on it. After a near revolt from the wife and kids, I showed them that they could use Firefox just like with windows. A year later I installed Mint 4 and once they found out how to get to firefox, all was good. Last week I installed Ubuntu 8.04 and asked my 12 year old to test out aMSN to see now it compares with MSN on her system running XP. After about a minute she said "This is so cool, can you install this on my computer".

So I did :mrgreen:

Toasted Donut
May 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM
I reckon that you should pester your dad into trying it before it's installed on his pc, that way he gets a "taster" without all the messing about of installing/uninstalling.

Also, speaking of Windows users being accustomed to Windows & Microsoft products, the time I bought this pc it came with OpenOffice.

Not being aware of the open source community and it's products I wondered where Microsoft Office was on the computer, then I noticed it, and you know something open source is excellent. Well of course you know that, you're all Ubuntu forum members.

My dad is the type of person who upgrades OS and hardware at the same time. My only shot at getting him on Ubuntu, is if he decides to get a dell machine (Which I will "suggest" that he gets Ubuntu) or if XP breaks, but at that time he will probably proceed to buy a new computer.

yamawho
May 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
My dad is the type of person who upgrades OS and hardware at the same time. My only shot at getting him on Ubuntu, is if he decides to get a dell machine (Which I will "suggest" that he gets Ubuntu) or if XP breaks, but at that time he will probably proceed to buy a new computer.

Time is money.
If he uses the system in question for business with all M$ apps, it will be a nightmare.

May not be cost effective to switch.

zmjjmz
May 1st, 2008, 09:46 PM
I say take his old computer (if XP breaks) and install a light distro on it with some nice (E17) eyecandy.
Impress him.

vinboy
May 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM
just get him to use Vista.
He'll then try to find alternatives. Now you tell him Ubuntu.

aysiu
May 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM
Unless you're converting your dad to Ubuntu saves him money or has other concrete benefits for him and his business, then forget it.

yamawho
May 2nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
just get him to use Vista.
He'll then try to find alternatives. Now you tell him Ubuntu.

Ha ha thats a good one :lolflag:

cardinals_fan
May 2nd, 2008, 01:06 AM
I'm already tech support for him, so he trusts that I won't screw it up. And besides, if he doesn't want it on there anymore, all I have to do is go to Install/Remove programs and it'll be gone in 2 seconds.
Install/Remove Programs? It'll take forever... ;)

schauerlich
May 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Install/Remove Programs? It'll take forever... ;)

Yeah, well, it beats formatting and merging the partitions.

regomodo
May 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
when he asks for help somewhere down the line you should now know how to reply. Either tell him to shove it (you might get a slap) or say "i don't know how to use windows anymore as i haven't used it in ages but.."