PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with deskbar applet, question about screensavers

crs501
May 1st, 2008, 12:48 AM
I hope I have the correct forum for this. I just upgraded to Hardy Heron 8.04 and in my opinion it's a really cool improvement over 7.10. I used to love the deskbar applet in ubuntu 7.10 as it featured multiple search engines. I only have Yahoo in the deakbar applet on 8.04 and would like to know how to install additional search engined in it. Also, I wondered if there was a way to add new screensavers to the ones that came with the system. Any ideas? If so please keep 'em simple because I'm no software engineer, just a home computer user. Thanks!

Goombie
May 1st, 2008, 06:33 AM
I'm going to bump this, because I don't know either, but I'm curious as well. I wonder if they got the Deskbar fixed; on Gutsy, it kept crashing on me, so I stopped using it.

crs501
May 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
Just to let you all know, thanks to daradib for some helpful advice in a different forum. And thanks to all of you who viewed and considered my queries. I am really likin' Hardy Heron 8.04!

wkulecz
May 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM
What was the advice? You are supposed to followup with "solution" if one has been found to make the search feature somewhat useful.

I don't need to add screensavers, but I'd like to remove the "boring" ones during random play.

--wally.

crs501
May 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Thank you for reminding me of some proper etiquette in these forums Wally. The following is the response I received in another forum and referenced here. It was helpful to me, I hope it helps you!

----- Ubuntu 8.04 includes the latest version of the Deskbar Applet, can no longer do Google searches because Google no longer offers the API (interface provided by a software/service like Google Search for a 3rd-party program) that Deskbar Applet can use (SOAP Search API). See http://code.google.com/apis/soapsearch/index.html

Some ideas:

Right click on the deskbar applet and choose "Preferences". Select "Search on the web" and click "More...".

Try installing the package python-soappy (i.e. through Synaptic Package Manager)

2) The following packages have more screensavers (some may already be installed): xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl xscreensaver-gl-extra -----