PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 8.04 failure; now Ubuntu hangs after login screen

MNA_Novice
May 1st, 2008, 12:35 AM
While installing upgrade to new release connexion with remote server was interrupted - event logs show continued timeouts and "will retry after 60 seconds"; at some point in this hang of the Upgrade Installer (Ubuntu was running w/ no issues at this time) someone else restarted the machine...

Now, Grub launches, Ubuntu launches, the login screen shows up, I login and password, then we hang at a beige blank screen, no actions, no nothing.

Is this repairable w/out reinstalling and reconfiguring? I had set this up as a LAMP Server to run our Wiki, and don't really want to redo all that... I've tried the xfix command from Grub - after running it, same issue upon restart.

any Linux gurus out there with good advice?

Thanks...

Keith5698
May 1st, 2008, 06:46 PM
I'm experiencing the same issue. I did not encounter any errors during install, but the computer just hangs at a beige screen after I log in. I tried various sessions, but they all respond the same. I'm brand new to Linux, and I'm not sure how I can troubleshoot this issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Peter09
May 1st, 2008, 07:03 PM
what is your graphics card? Try booting in recovery mode and typing

startx

what happens?

PC

mk122
June 6th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Hi, I am also having this problem with a Toshiba Satellite A70. I tried typing in "startx", and the same hangup happens, with low-grade graphics.