PDA

View Full Version : Making a live dvd.

Barrucadu
April 30th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I've decided, as a learning experience, to make a live dvd for myself. I'll be putting lots of partitioning, recovery, networking, et cetera utilities. Basically, I'll want to end up with a live dvd which gives me the ability to fiddle around with the host computer (and its network) happily.
I'll be using this guide (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Building_a_Live_CD), I assume it will work for a dvd as well as a cd? I don't see why not, but thought I would check first.

Can anyone recomend any programs for me to include? I am trying to remain as lightweight as possible:

Xorg
Fluxbox
NetworkManager
cfdisk (possibly even Gparted?)
nmap
What else? I haven't really made a system like this before.

Edit: The reason I say live dvd rather than live cd is because I generally end up using several gigabytes for / in a fully configured system. However, that is for a generic system with xfce and other big things installed. I decided to give myself the extra space, though, just in case a cd isn't quite enough.

shearn89
April 30th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I'd suggest ditching NetworkManager and going with something like wicd, or just scripts (there was a guide in the Tutorial of the Week thread that covered all the manual set up stuff).
I'd also go for gnumeric and abiword instead of OpenOffice, and Thunar instead of Nautilus (or PCManFm).
Music you might want mpd+ncmpc.
Browser maybe Opera or something uber-light like Kazehakase?
Maybe try a different WM before you start on the live disc - something like PekWM?

Barrucadu
April 30th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I wasn't planning on having any office programs however Abiword sounds like a good idea, and I would have used Thunar, PCManFM, or XFE as the file manager anyway.
I'll be spending a few days yaourt -Ss'ing to find things I might like and find useful. :)

shearn89
April 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM
good plan... See how light you can get your install before you try making a disc of it. I also found that trying to make the disc was quite tricky - doesn't seem to be any current support.

finferflu
April 30th, 2008, 11:49 PM
What? Openoffice? Abiword??? Nahhh! Put TeXLive! :D

Barrucadu
April 30th, 2008, 11:54 PM
:lol:
Quite possibly. Not only am I going to make this useful, I'm also going to make it look as difficult and technical as possible - I seem to live for impressing people :P

scragar
April 30th, 2008, 11:56 PM
huh? why specify a seperate browser and file manager, when konqueror is both? and because it's a KDE app it shares resources really well, provided your installing more than it(otherwise the nature of the KDE libs acts against it) from the KDE range.

Barrucadu
April 30th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Because I don't like it, and I won't be installing many (if any) KDE things.

shearn89
May 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM
Konqueror uses a lot of KDE deps, in the same way that nautilus uses a lot of gnome ones... Thunar uses v. few.