PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy install and GNOME Settings Daemon problem

ulugeyik
April 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
After upgrading my laptop (Lenovo X32) to Hardy Heron, there is an intermittent (does not happen ~25% of the time, but in that case wireless does not work) error. After logging in, it shows a black screen, than a blank background and waits for ~1 minute. Then shows the following error. Afterwards, one of the three things happen:
1) I get unusual icons but everything works, (2) I get unusual icons but after I click on few things, I get back the usual thing, everything works, (3) I get unusual icons, I can't click on any menus or icons.

The error message is not particularly informative for me. Looking around forums and various bug reports, I did not see the identical error message anywhere, but variants which had to do with things that were not installed on my computer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

---
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.