PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem during booting

bharaths_jois
April 30th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Hello all,

I am so new to Linux and Ubuntu, that I am not sure how to ask my query. But learning starts there I guess.

I recently (just today) installed Ubuntu 7.1 and the booting time is amazingly greater than 5 minutes and the splash screen hangs as it is, but the splash screen is seen.

And also after these looong 5 minutes, it comes with an error similar to
"May 1 00:32:25 bharath-desktop kernel: [ 147.245372] sdb:<3>ata2.01:
exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen"

I have no idea what this means. Anybody helping me out here??

Thanks in advance.:confused:

encompass
April 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Could you tell us a little about your computer?
Does it do this from the live CD too?
And have you tried the newer ubuntu. Version 8.04 7.10 is nice... but this newer one may help too as they have fixed alot of bugs in it.

ryot
April 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I would check my hard drive. You may want to run the manufactures diagnostic utility on your drive.

bharaths_jois
April 30th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Its a AMD processor 2GHz, WinXP already installed. I installed Ubuntu, after creating a ext2 (if i am right) partition. I saw the same problem while installing the OS too. I have one 40GB HDD in primary and one 160GB HDD in the secondary over a IDE interface. Primary has partitions for XP, Ubuntu and the Swap, and a few more for holding other data. And the secondary HDD has partitions to store data in them. XP, other partitions are FAT32 format. And somehow, I dont know how, while creating the partitions, 2 partitions of size 8Mb have been created at the beginning of each HDD. Each of these are of FAT format. Do you think this might cause a problem?