PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] /var too small for upgrade to gutsy

Námo Mandos
April 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Hi. I tried to upgrade from feisty to gutsy. But tragically, my /var is in its own partition, and that partition is too small! Anyway to redirect the upgrade to use another partition?

forestpixie
April 30th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Try doing an apt-clean to empty the archive - that will get some space in the /var

sudo apt-get clean

Námo Mandos
April 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM
It wants 1.2GB. After doing the clean thing, I only have 400MB. It's a small /var. Didn't expect this problem when I partitioned it.

forestpixie
April 30th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Can you not resize it?

Námo Mandos
April 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM
gparted is not happy with that.

forestpixie
April 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
What is it unhappy about then - I assume you're trying with a livecd.

Námo Mandos
April 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Nope. But is there anyway to do this without changing partition sizes? Like via symbolic links or something? The drive is partitioned the way it is for a reason and I was hoping not to fiddle with the partitions that *do* have space.

forestpixie
April 30th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I don't know I'm afraid you'll have to wait for someone else - never looked at symbolic links. Sorry :(

Námo Mandos
April 30th, 2008, 11:48 PM
bűmp

lemming465
May 1st, 2008, 12:58 AM
Yes, you can use symbolic links to rearrange things. Assuming you have enough space somewhere else, try this:

sudo -i
cd /var/cache
cp -a apt /some/where/else
mv apt apt.old
ln -s /some/where/else/apt .
When you are happy with the new apt symlink, you can do sudo rm -rf /var/cache/apt.old

malapradej
May 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
Hi, I also have the same problem upgrading from maverick to natty. I also partitioned my system like a server a year ago in ignorance when I just started using Linux Ubuntu.
It seems like it is the whole /var folder that needs to be symlinked, as the /var/cache only has 45MB of files and folders. My /var folder has its own partition of 1.9GB, which is exactly what natty narwhal needs to upgrade.
Is it possible (i.e. will I have a working system) if I symlink the whole /var folders content?

example:

sudo -i
cd /var
mv apt apt.old

and to fix it after upgrade:

sudo rm -rf /var/apt.old

Many thanks for the advice in advance.
Jacques

malapradej
May 2nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Hi, I also have the same problem upgrading from maverick to natty. I also partitioned my system like a server a year ago in ignorance when I just started using Linux Ubuntu.
It seems like it is the whole /var folder that needs to be symlinked, as the /var/cache only has 45MB of files and folders. My /var folder has its own partition of 1.9GB, which is exactly what natty narwhal needs to upgrade.
Is it possible (i.e. will I have a working system) if I symlink the whole /var folders content?

example:

sudo -i
cd /var
mv apt apt.old

and to fix it after upgrade:

sudo rm -rf /var/apt.old

Many thanks for the advice in advance.
Jacques

Or is there another way to upgrade without starting from scratch as in reinstall the whole system?.

dino99
May 2nd, 2011, 10:03 AM
do you really need that custom install ?
here is the standard one:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2