PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video errors

spotteddog
April 30th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Yesterday, after trying ubuntu for a few days via the WUBI install, I installed ubuntu 8.04 LTS, daul-boot on 2nd hard drive.
I have been searching both Google and this forum, but can't find a fix for my problem.

When I try to play any video, I get the error: "Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument".

I'm using Totem. The video shows for a second before I get the error. I didn't have any problems playing videos when I had ubuntu installed via WUBI.
I have the "restricted-extra" packages installed and the codex packages.
So far, this is the only problem I haven't been able to find an answer.

Thanks

herbster
April 30th, 2008, 08:34 PM
How much did you search? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/191027

Appears to be a bug that can be fixed for some by switching the sound system to ALSA, give it a go.

spotteddog
April 30th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Herbster,

That did it. :)
I thought that fix was a sound fix, which is why I didn't try it. Guess the error was a sound error, not a video error.

Now if I can just get my Creative X_Fi to work, I would be happy. From what I've read here, it seems to be impossible at this point. I'll just keep checking here for a solution.

Thanks for the quick help. I like Untubu better than Vista already. Just need a while to get proficient enough with Linux, then it's bye, bye M$.

Spot