PDA

View Full Version : General Linux Question: UID/GID

Lord_Dicranius
April 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Hello everybody! Been awhile since I've posted anything... Anyways, I'm studying for my Linux certifications, and I've come across something I've wanted to verify with people who are more experienced than I :)

I'm studying for the CompTIA Linux+ exam right now, using the Sybex study guide (third edition) (according to the CompTIA site, its for the current exam - XK0-002). Anyways, I'm sitting in front of an Ubuntu 8.04 system to check stuff as I go because I'm a visual learner. Reading through the UID/GID stuff, I wanted to check the UIDs/GIDs for the accounts shown in the book. The book says the "daemon" account is usually UID/GID 2, while the "mail" account is usually UID 8/GID 12. Checking my system, "daemon" is UID/GID 1, while "mail" is UID/GID 8. Is the exam out of date and most systems use these UIDs/GIDs now? Or were these changed on Ubuntu specifically?

I hope this makes sense. I know it's a little long winded, but I didn't want to leave out anything hah I have a habit of doing that when I try and shorten things...

Anyways, thanks in advance! :)

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hello everybody! Been awhile since I've posted anything... Anyways, I'm studying for my Linux certifications, and I've come across something I've wanted to verify with people who are more experienced than I :)

I'm studying for the CompTIA Linux+ exam right now, using the Sybex study guide (third edition) (according to the CompTIA site, its for the current exam - XK0-002). Anyways, I'm sitting in front of an Ubuntu 8.04 system to check stuff as I go because I'm a visual learner. Reading through the UID/GID stuff, I wanted to check the UIDs/GIDs for the accounts shown in the book. The book says the "daemon" account is usually UID/GID 2, while the "mail" account is usually UID 8/GID 12. Checking my system, "daemon" is UID/GID 1, while "mail" is UID/GID 8. Is the exam out of date and most systems use these UIDs/GIDs now? Or were these changed on Ubuntu specifically?

I hope this makes sense. I know it's a little long winded, but I didn't want to leave out anything hah I have a habit of doing that when I try and shorten things...

Anyways, thanks in advance! :)

What distro do they use for the exam?

Lord_Dicranius
April 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
hah I just came back to make an updated reply. I kept reading in the chapter and they specified they were referring to Red Hat/SuSE, then mentioned how Debian systems differ and noted the UIDs/GIDs I mentioned above. I was getting ahead of myself :-P

Thanks LaRoza for the quick reply though! :)