PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] set up a mail server on home server?

lefnire
April 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Got hardy server, and tasksel installed the mail server only to find that my ISP blocks port 25 & won't unblock on request. Is there any hope left in installing a mail server? I notice ubuntu asked for a proxy URL and something about a smarthost during installation, could either of these be helpful in doing mail? I remember hearing some mumbo jumbo about tunneling through ssh to a proxy, or something like that, to bypass the need for ports when ISP's block them...

exaviorn
April 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM
If you want to open the port on your router go to portfoward.com (http://portforward.com/)and select your router and select imap (something like that :lolflag:)after that select stuff like pop3.

lefnire
April 30th, 2008, 07:25 PM
well, i can open ports on my router, but then when the data gets to the ISP it's blocked there (http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx).

SpaceTeddy
April 30th, 2008, 10:43 PM
sorry to talk off topic, but blocking INCOMING port 25 has nothing to do with spam sending - that is OUTGOING port 25 (correct me if i am wrong).
does that mean you cannot send any mail anywhere via any smtp - or do just the mail servers from your ISP work and no other ?

the only way i can think of going around this is by tunneling your mailserver to the outside world through a third party or use a smarthost (since then your email server would act as an email client).

a full blown MX-server is not possible with port 25 blocked...

Just read the full article... this is crazy. I've never known this was happening, but this is just... i can't find any words for it. I'd be a reason for me to change providers...

jbaileypro
May 6th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hey your ISP will block it but they will provide you with their e-mail server. Talk Talk used to block mine but they told me to use their servers, they had no restrictions ever, so i was ok with that!

Hope that helps, JJ

lsutiger
June 9th, 2008, 12:27 AM
You could use a 3rd party in order to redirect your mail to a different port. Dyndns has a mail-hop service, but I wouldn't recommend their spam scanning and virus scanning associated with that service. We were using it at my company and we were loosing a hell of a lot of legit emails.

windependence
June 9th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Hey your ISP will block it but they will provide you with their e-mail server. Talk Talk used to block mine but they told me to use their servers, they had no restrictions ever, so i was ok with that!

Hope that helps, JJ

Kinda defeats the purpose of having your own mail server doesn't it?

-Tim

windependence
June 9th, 2008, 05:42 AM
You could use a 3rd party in order to redirect your mail to a different port. Dyndns has a mail-hop service, but I wouldn't recommend their spam scanning and virus scanning associated with that service. We were using it at my company and we were loosing a hell of a lot of legit emails.

no-ip has a service for this. I like them beter than dyndns anyway.

-Tim

hyper_ch
June 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM
you can relay your outgoing mail through your ISPs server... that should be possible.