PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade/Full Install 8.04 no gui after login

lordfly911
April 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I am installing on an older PowerEdge 2400 server using the desktop version of 8.04. I installed 7.10 yesterday and everything worked great. I did all the upgrades and then proceeded to upgrade to 8.04. When the computer rebooted, all went good, and I was able to login. But, the next screen is just the brown screen with the cursor, which I can move.

Okay, I thought, maybe there was an issue. So I downloaded 8.04 and installed it. And again I have the same issue.

I think it has to be a screen settings issue since originally the desktop was full screen and now the screen is just a little narrower, as if I need to adjust the monitor.

I am still a little green here. I have 7.10 upgraded to 8.04 installed on my laptop under Virtual PC 2007 and all is working great (except for the annoying screen size issue).

Thanks for any help

dstew
April 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I think the command to reconfigure the display in Hardy is
gksudo displayconfig-gtkFrom the command line, try
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorgbut I have heard this doesn't work in Hardy...

iJaffa
September 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Hi there,

I have the exact same problem, except with mine it is a Dell PowerEdge 750. I managed to get the gnome started under root by doing:

sudo su
password
startx

but trying to get gnome started under my regular user will not work and just gives me the 'poo screen' - the brown screen with mouse ;)

I hope someone can help me with this one.

Cheers,

manishtech
September 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM
From the command line, try
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorgbut I have heard this doesn't work in Hardy...
It works for me in Hardy

iJaffa
September 21st, 2008, 04:07 AM
It works for me in Hardy

I just tried it under a failsafe terminal, and the configuration utility worked, however it didn't actually fix any problems, and just went through the keyboard layout setup :S

manishtech
September 21st, 2008, 06:48 AM
I just tried it under a failsafe terminal, and the configuration utility worked, however it didn't actually fix any problems, and just went through the keyboard layout setup :S
I tried it in single user mode.

iJaffa
September 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM
I tried it in single user mode.

I have tried that also, still only gives me keyboard options and finishes the configuration utility.

tastybrains
October 7th, 2008, 03:14 AM
any luck fixing this? i'm experiencing the same issue. if anyone has fixed this, please post!