PDA

View Full Version : Tips for learning programming

Eisenwinter
April 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Hey guys, I want to start learning programming.
My only "advanced" coding experience so far, is with mIRC scripting.

I've never coded more than basic things in *real* languages.

I have this problem with learning new languages, because of my previous mIRC experience, I expect to be able to do everything in the new language within 5 minutes from when I start learning it.

Then, when I can't, I give up, and it takes me a week before I try again.

I'm looking for tips from programmers who have had this same problem, how did you get over it?
I find it difficult to bring myself to learn the language with patience.

I really want to participate in open source projects, but I just can't bring myself to focus and seriously learn a language.

Right now, I'm trying to learn Perl, any tips?

Thanks ^_^;

hessiess
April 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM
what do you want to program spasificly? forget about the languige and resertch this spasific type of aplication.

I also had the same problem, I wanted to learn game programming, but tutorials were going over the basics, after awile i would give up. Then I downloaded Irrlicht and( haveing absolutly no knolage of c++) read through the tutorials, changed them to do diffarent things. Read some c++ tutorials and everything made much more sence.

Eisenwinter
April 30th, 2008, 07:02 PM
That's one of the problems, I don't know what I want to program.
I guess just some things that will be useful to me personally.

I have a problem with general purpose programming, because mIRC is a specific purpose, to modify an IRC client.
With general purpose you can do many more things.

Fixman
April 30th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I recommend you start with C (not C++). Its very low level, so, once you master it, you can do EVERYTHING. The only problem is that you can't do practical things easily (like with languages like Java), but anyway I really recommend you starting with it.

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I suggest you see the links in my sig and reading the sticky.

This is asked constantly, the sticky has all you need.

Thread moved.