PDA

View Full Version : How I solved lock up problems in my computer (an example you must follow)

Fixman
April 30th, 2008, 06:24 PM
So, I yesterday installed Ubuntu Hardy. Everything worked perfectly...on the live CD. First, my nVidia drivers for some reason didn't work. I had to uninstall them them for something to be shown, so I did, but then I couldn't have Compiz, nor any good game. So, I say "okay, probably there will be some patch for this some of these days".

So, I was waiting until today. I opened the computer, it took hell of time to boot up, and, after 5 minutes, it just locked up.

So, I could do one of these 4 things:

1) Say "to the hell with free software" and install Windows Vista.
2) Re-Download Gutsy and install it.
3) Make 3 posts moaning about this each day on the forums until nVidia makes his drivers open source and a patch comes out. (you are probably doing this)
4) Realize that most people are *not* having this problem and, having the chance of having a 1 day old system, reinstall Hardy.

Guess what of those 4 I did, but now I got a computer that works perfectly and its 5 times faster to boot than my old Gutsy (no, Vista doesn't work faster than Gutsy).

So, please, stop moaning about Gutsy not working, stop moaning about crashes, stop moaning about "ubntu scks im going to fedora", because you are just wasting people times. Please, try to reinstall Hardy before moaning. PLEASE.

Zero Prime
April 30th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I have to agree with you. A re-install sometimes does the trick.

Ub1476
April 30th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Reinstall always works fine. A failure I often faced when I was new to Linux, was simply, I had no clue on how the system worked.

Now I'm more careful and before I do anything "special", I'm always sure I can revert anything if something went wrong.

That's probably the dangerous thing about Linux. You can do so god damn much tweaking and probably crash the system fast.

But, it's mostly upgrades which crash your system, as I see it. So that feature has to be worked on, but I think that without more open drivers this wont be an easy fix..

So, you can complain a lot about Linux, but myself usually put the blame on myself (or ATI, hehe).

Fedz
April 30th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I fear as Ubuntu naturally becomes ever more popular and or developed you are going to get an increasing fair share of 'ubuntu sucks', 'I hate Ubuntu' ... etc. posts :)

I've grown up on Window$ but, you kinda get typecast to Window$ 95/98/XP/Vista but, their hopefully comes a time when you see the light and have a brainfart and realise Micro$oft/Window$ is just brainwash and or chain you.

The enlightened follow the open source path - freedom feels good ;)