PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] tell me there's an undo for the partition table, PLEASE

TechnoJunky
April 30th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I've totally messed up. I tried upgrading (new install) to 8.04. I picked manual and selected sdb1 for the installation. I had my hard drive setup with 3 partitions, root (sdb1), home (sdb4) and swap (sdb5). I formatted sdb1, but afterwards couldn't boot. I retried it several times and gave up and decided to go back to 7.10. This time it booted to a trial OS and I mounted sdb4 and while it was mounted went to do the install. I selected guided and picked sdb partition 1. I thought it would only destroy partition 1 (sdb1). It said it failed, but my mounted sdb4 was still accessible, and mounted. I thought maybe having it mounted may have caused a problem, so I unmounted and went back into the install program. This time under manual I didn't see sdb4 listed. I went back to konsole and remounted sdb4, everything was there. I assumed that the install program was having an issue so I rebooted. Now it's still not listed and I can't mount it either. Is there anyway to get my sdb4 back? Is there an un-fdisk program?

TechnoJunky
May 1st, 2008, 02:07 PM
I also posted this on LinuxQuestions.org. I got a reply there to try
http://linuxappfinder.com/package/testdisk. It worked, I got my home partition back.