PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KDE - Multiple Desktops - Keep Programs assigned to a desktop

jrings
April 30th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hi,

I'm making good use of KDE's mutliple desktops and usually keep a program always on the same desktop.
When I restart KDE, some programs, like Firefox, reappear on the desktop they were on, but some, especially amarok, just pops up wherever I am, which is really annoying, because it usually disturbs me typing something.

Is there a way to make ALL programs reappear wherever they left when I exited?

warp99
April 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Hi,

I'm making good use of KDE's mutliple desktops and usually keep a program always on the same desktop.
When I restart KDE, some programs, like Firefox, reappear on the desktop they were on, but some, especially amarok, just pops up wherever I am, which is really annoying, because it usually disturbs me typing something.

Is there a way to make ALL programs reappear wherever they left when I exited?
If your using Compiz-Fusion then you can install the Compiz Config Settings Manager (CCSM) and use the place plugin to put the application on any desktop of your choosing using windows matching. More about this at the Compiz-Fusion wiki:

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Plugins/Place

In order to install the CCSM manager you need the universe repositories enabled then:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
the Compiz-Fusion WM is very powerful and using CCSM allows you to customize the controls to an infinite degree.

jrings
April 30th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Well, if this is possible in Compiz but not in KDE, I think I will once again try to look into using Compiz. Thanks!