PDA

View Full Version : Who doesnt use ubuntu anymore

MONODA
April 30th, 2008, 02:37 PM
After not being able to get my wireless to work in hardy, I decided to move to another distro. I chose OpenSuSE since I was interested in it and I no longer use ubuntu. Who else doesnt use ubuntu but still comes here?

Swarms
April 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Since I thought it improved I didn't see any reason. :) But why don't you just go back to Gutsy if it worked for you?

SuperSon!c
April 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM
opensuse's really nice too and i was using that until the hardy beta came out, now i'm back on ubuntu, but have opensuse in a VM.

ELD
April 30th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Well i tried opensuse before and it didn't show a wireless connection for me, but i have lost a bit of faith in ubuntu with the latest release, was quite the let down for me.

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Well i tried opensuse before and it didn't show a wireless connection for me, but i have lost a bit of faith in ubuntu with the latest release, was quite the let down for me.

That happens in every release. I joined when Feisty was coming out, the uproar was tremonduous. I could have sworn Feisty was the worst thing since unsliced bread by the problems other people had.

Do you do a fresh install? That may fix problems.

MONODA
April 30th, 2008, 02:46 PM
well i didnt reinstall gutsy because I wanted to try something new. I found that OpenSuSE was faster than gutsy for me and then I realized that I want something more lightweight like arch/freebsd/debian.

ibutho
April 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I use openSUSE as my default Linux distro. I don't particularly like the way KDE is implemented in Ubuntu, so I stick with openSUSE because KDE is my preferred desktop environment. I like to hang out here coz its fun and I also pick a few things about Ubuntu.

ELD
April 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM
That happens in every release. I joined when Feisty was coming out, the uproar was tremonduous. I could have sworn Feisty was the worst thing since unsliced bread by the problems other people had.

Yeah i had a fresh install, every new version for me was an improvement, this time it seems a bit lacking.

For one thing this time around for my ntfs i had to install ntfs config, when the others mounted them fine, and now on every reboot even though i have them mounted rhythmbox needs me to import my music folder everytime.

Sound used to be dodgey but seems to have sorted itself out.

Mouse is really funny with all full screen games -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4708432&postcount=79
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4841495&postcount=81

My gnome panel at the bottom seems to crash a lot too, and the items in the task bar like to move around on reboot, highly annoying.

Grub also screwed up my windows boot -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=775629

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah i had a fresh install, every new version for me was an improvement, this time it seems a bit lacking.

For one thing this time around for my ntfs i had to install ntfs config, when the others mounted them fine, and now on every reboot even though i have them mounted rhythmbox needs me to import my music folder everytime.

Strange. My install (next to Windows Vista and Ubuntu 7.10) was flawless.

angryfirelord
April 30th, 2008, 03:01 PM
After not being able to get my wireless to work in hardy, I decided to move to another distro. I chose OpenSuSE since I was interested in it and I no longer use ubuntu. Who else doesnt use ubuntu but still comes here?
Try this:

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-hardy
Also, what wireless card do you have?

hessiess
April 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM

feisty has been pretty much flawless for me, though im thinking of switching 8.04

SuperSon!c
April 30th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I use openSUSE as my default Linux distro. I don't particularly like the way KDE is implemented in Ubuntu, so I stick with openSUSE because KDE is my preferred desktop environment. I like to hang out here coz its fun and I also pick a few things about Ubuntu.

truth. kde4 in opensuse works alot better than kde4 in Kubuntu. i know that stuff's not finished yet, but it seems more stable on opensuse.

Erunno
April 30th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I switched to openSUSE as well after having used Kubuntu for almost a year (from 6.06 until 7.04). I still stick around these parts since I simply got used to this forums (fora?) and the openSUSE community is badly fractured at the moment (something that I hope will be redeemed with the opening of forums.opensuse.org).

As a KDE user I am simply more intrigued by SuSE'S offering. It didn't have some of Kubuntu's bugs (e.g. the imfamous applications don't start bug or some questionable custom patches for the sake of arguable usability improvements) and some aspects like the build service, Kickoff and the feeling of not being a second-class citizen were major selling points for me.

MONODA
April 30th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I have a intel pro/wireless 3945 abg
i will not go back to hardy since I found it too slow for my liking, but thanks anyway. (no one replied to my post asking for help)

chucky chuckaluck
April 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM
obviously, people with different hardware could have differing results (ipw2200 is going to work better than a broadcom card, for example). in my view, if one is concerned with a growth of linux in the future, it's important to support linux friendly hardware dealers, even if it costs a little bit more.

anyway... i just installed arch this past weekend. aside from ubuntu, i had tried sabayon and sidux. arch is definitely for me (i even felt so during the installation, unlike with sabayon and sidux). it allows me to be as minimal as i'm capable of being, with the option to reduce even further when i've reached that skill level. i certainly would not have even used linux in the first place were it not for a distro like ubuntu.

MONODA
April 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM
anyway... i just installed arch this past weekend. aside from ubuntu, i had tried sabayon and sidux. arch is definitely for me (i even felt so during the installation, unlike with sabayon and sidux). it allows me to be as minimal as i'm capable of being, with the option to reduce even further when i've reached that skill level. i certainly would not have even used linux in the first place were it not for a distro like ubuntu.
yeah arch is great, I love it, I cant wait until arch 2008 final is released.

bonzodog
April 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Yup, I'm on Arch here on my desktop now, with Zenwalk on my Laptop. The laptop did briefly run feisty/gutsy, but I have never been comfortable with the debian/ubuntu way of doing things, and feel much more at home in the Slackware way of doing things.

I scrapped ubuntu from the desktop after just 6 months of running it, - I had ran Slackware for years before that, and went to Zenwalk on the desktop, then when Zenwalk finally sorted out the wireless drivers in the kernel, I switched the Laptop to Zenwalk, and the Desktop to Arch.

mips
April 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
... I cant wait until arch 2008 final is released.

Is Arch ever final seeing it is a rolling release distro?

I just installed Arch64 2008-RC on my PC (had hardware failures) so I just keep updating.

ARhere
April 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
well i didnt reinstall gutsy because I wanted to try something new. I found that OpenSuSE was faster than gutsy for me and then I realized that I want something more lightweight like arch/freebsd/debian.

Since you are no longer an Ubuntuian, can I have your avatar?

:lolflag: -AR

ibutho
April 30th, 2008, 04:05 PM
... the openSUSE community is badly fractured at the moment (something that I hope will be redeemed with the opening of forums.opensuse.org).

I agree with you, the forums need to be in one place. The openSUSE team is working on this and they hope to have completed the unification of the forums by mid may.

truth. kde4 in opensuse works alot better than kde4 in Kubuntu. i know that stuff's not finished yet, but it seems more stable on opensuse.
Yes. So far I am impressed with the openSUSE 11 pre releases. KDE4 looks really awesome at the moment and the devs seem to be doing a good job of making it stable.

PmDematagoda
April 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Yes. So far I am impressed with the openSUSE 11 pre releases. KDE4 looks really awesome at the moment and the devs seem to be doing a good job of making it stable.

So was I, but unfortunately, OpenSUSE developers seems to be having a bit of a habit of putting up faulty development installation CDs most of the time, for example, you can't install openSUSE 11 beta 1 using the Live CD due to a kernel bug, the same applies to Alpha 3 where in order to install it, you had to put in a special parameter.

I've tried openSUSE 10.3, but I wasn't very attached to it, so I decided to go for pure KDE4 using openSUSE 11.

bonzodog
April 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM

:lolflag: -AR

His avatar is simply the X.org logo....available on their website...

ice60
April 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM
i have got ubuntu on some computers, but i don't use it, my main computer runs suse 10.2, i've added so much to it it must be the most bloated distro in the world lol.

10.2 had just come out when i got the computer, i did try ubuntu , but it didn't support the new hardware at the time. i want to use something like arch, but i can't be bothered to set it up so, i'm stuck with suse 10.2 ;D

MONODA
April 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM
sure!

regomodo
April 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM
for me it went downhill from Feisty. Edgy was stable yet a litle feature lacking. Since then they've added features that i've found to be bloating and/or unstable.

I live in Gentoo/Debian land now and couldn't be happier.

MONODA
April 30th, 2008, 04:28 PM
His avatar is simply the X.org logo....available on their website...
that's cuz I changed it, I attached my old avatar in my previous post.

Quillz
April 30th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I don't use Ubuntu full-time, if that's what you mean. My primary OS of choice is Mac OS X, but I also run Ubuntu and Windows in virtual machines.

vexorian
April 30th, 2008, 04:29 PM
After not being able to get my wireless to work in hardy, I decided to move to another distro. I chose OpenSuSE since I was interested in it and I no longer use ubuntu. Who else doesnt use ubuntu but still comes here?I'd rather use windows than Ballnux.

Edit: I am disgusted by the amount of OpenSUSE advertisement in this thread. I do hope one day someone buys SUSE from Novell so it is not as harmful to Linux as it is right now. So people can use it without issues though.

Quillz
April 30th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'd rather use windows than Ballnux.

Edit: I am disgusted by the amount of OpenSUSE advertisement in this thread. I do hope one day someone buys SUSE from Novell so it is not as harmful to Linux as it is right now. So people can use it without issues though.
How is openSUSE harmful to Linux? I've used it and I think it's just as good as Linux. Certainly one of the better distros in terms of maintenance and upkeep.

SuperSon!c
April 30th, 2008, 04:45 PM

wow. can you elaborate?

aysiu
April 30th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I switched to Xandros, because I replaced my desktop with an Eee. From what I've read, Ubuntu can be made to work on an Eee, but it takes a lot of tweaking and, even then, some things still won't work.

Eventually, I'm hoping Ubuntu will get better support on the Eee. In the meantime, I'm using Xandros.

ibutho
April 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM

What issues do you mean because AFAIK openSUSE is not part of the NOVELL/MS pact so it shouldn't and doesn't harm Linux in anyway. Many people are not happy about the NOVELL/MS pact, but that does not mean that one can't appreciate that openSUSE is a good distro.

PmDematagoda
April 30th, 2008, 05:09 PM

What's really wrong with openSUSE? I find it to be a rather good distribution and has made a lot of progress these days and is innovative. Admittedly, I don't like the Novell/MS deal as well but Novell still does make contributions to Linux and they still respect the open source nature of it, so you can't just say that something is bad overall just because a part of it is bad.

original_jamingrit
April 30th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I wiped everything and have just had slackware for a while. After you get around the quirks and resolve your computing habits with the prevalent philosophies, it's pretty cool. I've been meaning to try out Arch Linux.

But Ubuntu is the distro I recommend to all of my freinds, and I still like hanging out in the forums here, too.

acelin
April 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM

This is hilarious since I joined with Feisty as well, and thought it was the best thing since BEFORE sliced bread. :lolflag:

ice60
April 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM

i don't care what you think, go and tell boycottnovell.com about us if you want, they can write an article about it lol

crapple
April 30th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I am forced to use opensuse because ubuntu dosn't support powerpc anymore:(

AndyCooll
April 30th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Like plenty of others I've looked at other distros. I like Debian, I'm currently running it on one of my pc's, and it runs my NSLU2's. I have a soft spot for Fedora as it was the first distro I tried. And I've tried Gobuntu, gNewsense, OpenSUSE etc etc

However I stay with Ubuntu quite simply because I like it and simply have no need to change. It works, it's easy to use, and I'm familiar with it.

:cool:

Pekkalainen
April 30th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I have switched to Debian on my desktop and laptop. The server runs Ubuntu for now but that will probably change as well when I get the power to rebuild it.

Debian is much nicer for tweaking I belive. And Ubuntu has gotten a bit bloated since Edgy. I want a more lean system.

Whiffle
April 30th, 2008, 11:19 PM
*shameless plug*
http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=85

Pethegreat
April 30th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I am thinking about trying 8.04 on my desktop. If I don't feel like I am getting as good an ubuntu expirence as I have on my laptop, I am going to distro hop on my desktop until I find something I like. I need something that gets my video card working correctly with my monitor. I have also not been able to fix my problems with sound in flash.

I have not had a single problem with 8.04 as of now. I went the upgrade route on my laptop. I see no reason to get rid of it if I am not having problems with it.

cardinals_fan
May 1st, 2008, 01:06 AM
I finally wiped my Ubuntu partition - which had been constant Ubuntu since I first tried Linux a bit over a year ago. The Ubuntu project is doing a great job of achieving their goal - Linux for everyday computer users. I just prefer a light, clean, BSD system.

kerry_s
May 1st, 2008, 01:29 AM
i use debian full time. i jumped off the ubuntu ship back when it was edgy. debian just runs fantastic on my old rig, i don't get that slow down that always seems to hit *ubuntu, don't have to keep up with releases to get the latest stuff.
i find it very easy to use, but then again, my friends tell me i always make it look easier then it is. :confused:
i think it's because i've tried alot of different things before i settled down, i use to distro hop weekly. :lolflag:

SuperSon!c
May 1st, 2008, 01:40 AM
wow, that's more people than i thought would be using another distro and yet still posting here. ubuntu seems to be sort of a gateway for some folks to *nix.

kerry_s
May 1st, 2008, 01:44 AM
wow, that's more people than i thought would be using another distro and yet still posting here. ubuntu seems to be sort of a gateway for some folks to *nix.

i just find these forums more interesting then others. also other forums tend to be slow, as in there's no one around most of the time. i do visit other forums just not as often as ubuntu's.

SuperSon!c
May 1st, 2008, 01:48 AM
as far as *nix distros go, yes, this one moves traffic. even kubuntu's is pretty pale in comparison.

herbster
May 1st, 2008, 05:36 AM
http://www.entertainmentrights.com/uploads/image_bank/archie_hl.jpg

regomodo
May 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
i just find these forums more interesting then others. also other forums tend to be slow, as in there's no one around most of the time. i do visit other forums just not as often as ubuntu's.

Those are my exact feelings. I've joined other linux related forums [gentoo,debian,arch,slack,dsl,puppy] but i've found them to be either quiet, not just in traffic but in the fact threads just don't get replies, or just plain boring.