PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] format MTS

ninicoco
April 30th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I have a sony camcorder that save video in MTS format.

How can i read this format with Ubuntu?

Thanks for any help.

warbread
May 1st, 2008, 10:01 AM
Have you tried VLC? It's well known for playing just about anything. Give it a try, it can't hurt.

What you can do, if that fails, is convert the .mts into a .avi file. Instructions can be found here (http://wesleybailey.com/blog/2008/01/20/m2tstoavi-avchd/). Let me know if you have specific questions.

Malcy
May 1st, 2008, 10:59 AM
At the moment, you have to use m2tstoavi to convert from AVCHD to H264 avi. This works well in video editors like KDEnlive. It should be possible to change the m2tstoavi code slightly to convert to a lower resolution format as well, such as DVD resolution mpeg2. At present an easy solution to convert the H264 avi file produced by m2tstoavi to something else is by using ConvertIT, a mencoder front end. You can find ConvertIt and m2tstoavi by searching these forums.

bsmith1051
May 2nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
Does m2tstoavi re-encode it (bad) or re-package it (good)?

Stochastic
May 2nd, 2008, 04:05 AM
Does m2tstoavi re-encode it (bad) or re-package it (good)?

It transcodes it (good, because then you can use the previously locked proprietary format) and only if you set the output to be a lossy compression will you loose information. (if I'm not mistaken - not a video whiz myself)

bsmith1051
May 2nd, 2008, 04:53 AM
avchd is not a proprietary format, it's just a new as-yet-unsupported one. And truly uncompressed HD video runs about 10 GB per minute so that's not a reasonable option.

RebateFX
August 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Have you tried VLC? It's well known for playing just about anything. Give it a try, it can't hurt.

What you can do, if that fails, is convert the .mts into a .avi file. Instructions can be found here (http://wesleybailey.com/blog/2008/01/20/m2tstoavi-avchd/). Let me know if you have specific questions.

I tried that, thanks, but the resulting output is anything but HD quality. Very blocky. Is there a way to fix it? I suppose I could just try and break the script myself hehe.

bsmith1051
August 23rd, 2008, 01:27 AM
FYI - the current 'beta' 0.9 version of VLC doesn't play AVCHD files, at all.