PDA

View Full Version : An appeal: don't click the thank you button if you agree with an opinion.

loell
April 30th, 2008, 12:44 PM
the thank you button is suppose to say "thank you" to someone imparting knowledge to the community, at least thats what I see fit with this forum feature.

but when arguments arise, I see people thanking other opinions sympathetic to their opinions, why not say "Yes I agree" , "Yes, you are right like I pointed out earlier" , expound the opinion/statement that you agree with. or just the old way - quote the post and type +1?

thoughts, opinions and statements are to be agreed and disagreed upon, they are not supposed to be thanked.

P.S : Sorry, you are less of a person if you click the thank you button of this post, thank you but no thanks.. sincerely..

itix
April 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Thank you! (...and I won't click the thanx button =P)

It's for those looking for solutions to their problems. The thanx button is for the exact post that solved your problem and not for thanking ppl in say, political discussions.

loell
April 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM
yes, sadly its been abused by some to push an argument up :(

Erunno
April 30th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I actually never paid any attention to this system. In what way can it be abused, i.e. what practical benefit do you get for high thanks/thanked counts (other than attention of the crowd who confuses high numbers with quality)?

aeiah
April 30th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I actually never paid any attention to this system. In what way can it be abused, i.e. what practical benefit do you get for high thanks/thanked counts (other than attention of the crowd who confuses high numbers with quality)?

its just an incentive so people are encouraged to keep on helping people i suppose.

Erunno
April 30th, 2008, 01:42 PM
its just an incentive so people are encouraged to keep on helping people i suppose.

I get that, but the original poster mentioned that this system can be potentially abused, i.e. are there any practical benefits like:

1000 Thanks: Moderator status
10000 Thanks: Administrative access
100000 Thanks: Mark Shuttleworth's heir

?

pelle.k
April 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM
don't click the thank you button if you agree with an opinion.
+1
Maybe there should be an "agree" button, but what's the point of counting those :)

Erunno
April 30th, 2008, 01:48 PM
+1
Maybe there should be an "agree" button, but what's the point of counting those :)

It seems to be important for people with low self-esteem. *shrug*

loell
April 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I get that, but the original poster mentioned that this system can be potentially abused, i.e. are there any practical benefits like:

1000 Thanks: Moderator status
10000 Thanks: Administrative access
100000 Thanks: Mark Shuttleworth's heir

?

none, the number of thanks though shows up in your profile permanently/

abuse is seen only on non technical post like on debates, thanking those people that one agrees with.

its like putting a weigh on ones post and making other posts less valuable, again in the context of an argument.

loell
April 30th, 2008, 01:55 PM
+1

i think agree button is even worse, just have your say on a topic, don't go clicking any button to say it.

SuperSon!c
April 30th, 2008, 02:17 PM
heh, that's interesting. maybe it just needs to be reinstated exactly what the 'thank you' button is for. not everyone will comply of course.

i should thank you for this thread.

MONODA
April 30th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Maybe there should be an "agree" button, but what's the point of counting those
+1 lol
sometimes its just easier and quicker to press the thanks button than to start a new post.

original_jamingrit
April 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
+1 lol
sometimes its just easier and quicker to press the thanks button than to start a new post.

Yeah. If used in an argument or something, I'd rather see people use the thank you button then start a new post. It seems more of a waste of space to just parrot someone else's post and say you agree. But, the people being thanked cannot see which posts they are being thanked for. Even still, it's probably still better than cluttering up a discussion with short posts just to say that you agree; I'd see that as being more detrimental to an argument than just one side getting lots of thanks.

forrestcupp
April 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
In my opinion, the best solution is to remove the Thanks button from the Cafe and discussion areas. Any support requests should be in a different sub-forum anyway, so there really shouldn't be much need for Thanks in discussion areas.

That would at least cut down on abuse.

chewearn
April 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Of course, a post asking people not to thank a post because you agree with it, got some thanks. lol Some people just can't stop being a comedian. :lol:

SuperSon!c
April 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM
In my opinion, the best solution is to remove the Thanks button from the Cafe and discussion areas. Any support requests should be in a different sub-forum anyway, so there really shouldn't be much need for Thanks in discussion areas.

^best idea.

billgoldberg
April 30th, 2008, 02:45 PM
the thank you button is suppose to say "thank you" to someone imparting knowledge to the community, at least thats what I see fit with this forum feature.

but when arguments arise, I see people thanking other opinions sympathetic to their opinions, why not say "Yes I agree" , "Yes, you are right like I pointed out earlier" , expound the opinion/statement that you agree with. or just the old way - quote the post and type +1?

thoughts, opinions and statements are to be agreed and disagreed upon, they are not supposed to be thanked.

P.S : Sorry, you are less of a person if you click the thank you button of this post, thank you but no thanks.. sincerely..

You are correct.

I even hate it more when people start thanking mods just because they like to kiss ***.

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM

I will suggest it if that is what people think. (A poll would help...)

geoken
April 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I actually never paid any attention to this system. In what way can it be abused, i.e. what practical benefit do you get for high thanks/thanked counts

I've personally used it to scan through long, multi page posts and quickly find the solution to an issue.

billgoldberg
April 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Many people do give usefull advice in the cafe.

The thanks button should stay.

mips
April 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM

I think that would be a great idea to suggest its removal from the cafe, backyard etc.

Should I thank you for this? ;)

SuperSon!c
April 30th, 2008, 03:10 PM
hm. then you bring up the issue of is it "ok" to thank someone for something non *nix related? like say the topic was about someone's car problem and another member told them how to easily fix it. should the thank you button be used?

SuperSon!c
April 30th, 2008, 03:10 PM

hey, get your own lines!

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I think that would be a great idea to suggest its removal from the cafe, backyard etc.

It isn't in the Backyard, or OMG pInK pOnIeS

Perhaps a new thread with poll is in order?

Diabolis
April 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=775796

Erunno
April 30th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I've personally used it to scan through long, multi page posts and quickly find the solution to an issue.

Ah, I get it. It's meant to be a substitution for reading. So if I get enough thanks votes all of my posts will become magically valuable? Cool.

blithen
April 30th, 2008, 03:27 PM
It really is used to thank somebody. That's what it should be used for nothing else.

davidgutu
May 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks y'all for not letting the thanks button be chucked.

itix
May 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
How very mature of people to thank you for the post... A bit funny, but not exactly respectful =(

swoll1980
May 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Ubuntu never sent me the thank you manual so I've been using it for anything I would say thanks to in real life. Why do you care what people thank each other for anyways?
Add: I never thought I would see the day when people would be talking about the abuse of "thanks" this sounds really dumb

SuperSon!c
May 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
kthx.

itix
May 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Well, its original purpose was for those searching for a solution to their problems. When they found a thanked post they instantly knew that this post had helped other. There's an option called "search for thanked posts" which might be misleading if you have thanked someone for, say as an example, being an atheist.

swoll1980
May 3rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
how about a search for solved post that would make more sense. Seeing as it's human nature for us to thank each other for all kinds of things

itix
May 3rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
Is five keys (t+h+a+n+x) plus a click instead of just a click on the star too much to ask for?? =P
The "mark the thread as solved"-system is sadly gone now with the forum update... I have tried that with a number of my threads.

swoll1980
May 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Is five keys (t+h+a+n+x) plus a click instead of just a click on the star too much to ask for?? =P
The "mark the thread as solved"-system is sadly gone now with the forum update... I have tried that with a number of my threads.

You don't have to be kurt about it. Are you going to be the guy that tells every single new member what the thanks button is for. Because most people assume it's just to say thanks to someone. Because of this using the thanks system to find post isn't a good idea (it's design is flawed) as people will always use thanks for other things. Why not change that "thanks" button to a "solution" button indicating that "this was the post that solved my question" that would keep people from using it to thank people, because (in my mind) there is a big difference between the two.

itix
May 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
No... I suppose you're right. Some kind of change is needed. Maybe somthing similiar to, but shorter than, "click this if this was the post that solved your problem" would be a good compromise.

I guess they wanted it as a carrot hanging from the fishing pole in front of us so that we could use our thanks as braging rights, and by doing so helping ans many as possible or something. I do agree that the concept is a bit misleading though.

swoll1980
May 3rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
"click this if this was the post that solved your problem" would be a good compromise.

how about 'solution'(with a check mark icon representing it) short, sweet, and to the point

itix
May 3rd, 2008, 11:42 PM
Seams like a good way to solve the problem. I'm not sure how really since I've only spent about 5-6 months in this forum, but maybe we should open a new poll for completely changing the thanks system??