PDA

View Full Version : custom made script

shadowtroopers
April 30th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Does anyone here have or make their own script?. Usually for doing certain task that linux doesn't have yet.

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Does anyone here have or make their own script?. Usually for doing certain task that linux doesn't have yet.

I program and write scripts to do things for me.

shadowtroopers
April 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Can you tell me the purpose of the script that you have made?

hyper_ch
April 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I made myself an install script... to it I add the packages I normally download and install so that upon a reinstall I just let the script do it's magic while drinking coffee ;)

I also made little scripts that will mount through sshfs my "websites" on my server into my local computer for easy managing....

pelle.k
April 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I've written a whole post-installer to set ubuntu up to my *exact* needs, installing packages, configuring system etc. Nothing GUI-fied though.

I also got this bash script that does backups (and restores naturally) with sparse file system support (using partimage), all (semi) guified using zenity. Works really well actually.

aeiah
April 30th, 2008, 02:07 PM
ive made a few simple ones that include:

a script to make a dvd.iso of an avi file, and one that will merge two avi files and then convert to a dvd.iso.

the one that's mentioned in my sig

a few for making aircrack simpler

one that'll grab the guardian news pdfs for me and put them on my desktop (essentially just two wget commands)

one that'll take the contents of my film folder and output the list to an html doc with applicable imdb links to each film on the list, for emailing to friends who want some films i have.

MONODA
April 30th, 2008, 02:16 PM
ive written several scripts each to do the following:
to craet a playlist
to compile packages from tarballs
to move files
to speak the highlighted text with espeak
and my favorite one: to sync my flash disk and documents when I plug it in.

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Can you tell me the purpose of the script that you have made?

I made a bunch. I usually don't keep them.

original_jamingrit
April 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I make scripts that make it easier to launch games, and that will turn off certain sets of apps while I'm running others.

GNOME (and KDE probably) has a easy right-click script menu that allows you to perform tasks on files you right-click on. I've used that a lot. Using scripts in that way often saves you from having to open up a terminal. Makes it easy to mount disc images from memory.

blithen
April 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I made myself an install script... to it I add the packages I normally download and install so that upon a reinstall I just let the script do it's magic while drinking coffee ;)

Ahaha! I did the samething. Only I made it remove the packages I didn't want in a fresh install also.

notwen
April 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I've made a couple of scripts. Most deal w/ stopping/starting/restarting services. Others I've made are used to customize a fresh install and update some hosted web pages. Learning to use the bash shell to your advantage has numerous benefits and not to mention it's pretty easy to get the hang of once you know your commands. =]

Martje_001
April 30th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I get my timetable mailed when it's changed ;). I really love bash!

picopir8
April 30th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I have made tons of scripts for home/work.

My most used script recurses through a directory deleting all *~ and #*# files that emacs leaves behind.

red_Marvin
April 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I do some scripting in python, but they're often more like "programming" if you would do such a distinction based on complexity/purpose.