PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Herion release a very bad thing

Corwin7
April 30th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I've been a happy Debian user for quite a few years now. Debian Unstable is awesome. Like Ubuntu, Debian has a stupid naming convention. I had no wish to keep track of the Toy Story of the month club, but I didn't have to, I used unstable in the repositories and I always had my system current. Anyway as I upgraded to 6GB of Ram I figured I needed to reinstall to 64 bit and didn't think there would be much difference other than Ubuntu having a better installer. I've been happily running Hard Herion for a few months now when all of a sudden Herion was released, and apt-get dist-upgrade now does nothing. This makes me really sad as I don't think developers stopped coding. Is there any way to use the equivalent of Unstable or Testing? It kind of sucks that what I figured was a good thing looks like it's going to force me to reinstall Debian on my machine.

PmDematagoda
April 30th, 2008, 09:30 AM
If you've used Hardy Heron since development then by updating to the latest packages you are now in fact using Hardy Heron final. I don't suppose you can upgrade from Hardy Heron to Hardy Heron can you:)?

mikewhatever
April 30th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Go ask for a refund and don't intimidate the community.