PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation

omegadirective
April 30th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Hi guys,

I have just downloaded and burnt a copy of the new Ubunto. On one PC I get CD to boot fine, and I can use Hardy Heron no problem.

On my second PC I have problems. I boot it up exactly the same way and it loads up the installer. It then drops me back to the command line prompts.

I don't know how I can get Ubunto to boot as I know the CD works. I think this is more an issue with my second computer than Ubunto but I was hoping some one could help.

I don't know much about the command line installation so I was wondering if someone could give me a brief walkthrough on how to install Ubunto manually?

My first computer is running Vista and my second a brand new XP install. Both are 32-bit, although my machines will support 64-bit.

Computer 1:

Windows VISTA Ultimate (Urgh)
Quad-core 2.4 GHz Intel
4GB RAM
500GB SATA SAMSUNG HDD
XFX 8800GT 512MB XXX Edition
XFX NVIDIA Motherboard

(Can't remember some of the models.)

Computer 2:

Windows XP Professional SP2
Dual-Core 3.2 GHz Intel
4GB RAM
120GB IDE SEAGATE HDD
XFX 7800GT 512MB
Intel Motherboard

(Can't remember all models again.)

PmDematagoda
April 30th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Did you try using the Alternate CD on the same PC?

omegadirective
April 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hi,

No, but thats my plan for first thing tonight when I get in from work. What difference does the alternate CD make?

PmDematagoda
April 30th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Hi,

No, but thats my plan for first thing tonight when I get in from work. What difference does the alternate CD make?

The Alternate CD is the text based installer for Ubuntu, but I do remember seeing a blueprint(a finished one) where the text installer(or some sort of text installer) would be included in the Live CD. But anyway, give the Alternate CD a go.

omegadirective
April 30th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a tonight and hopefully it will work! Do I need any specific commands to install Ubuntu using the text-based installer?

PmDematagoda
April 30th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a tonight and hopefully it will work! Do I need any specific commands to install Ubuntu using the text-based installer?

Using the Alternate CD? I don't think so.

omegadirective
April 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks for your help mate! :) I'll get back to you if I have any problems.