PDA

View Full Version : extremely simple python question...

cartisdm
April 30th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I'm about 10 minutes into my attempt at learning python. I'm following a beginner's guide from a link I saw in LaRoza's signiture. The guide uses a lot of screenshots but they are taken within Windows and I'm trying to code in the terminal.

It says go to File --> New Window

We notice that there's nothing in this new window. What this means is that this file is purely for our commands: Python won't interject with its own responses as we enter the program, that is, not until we tell it to. I'll call this the "Program" window, to distinguish it from the Interpreter window.

How do I do this? So far all I've done is type 'Python' in a terminal....

ryy_
April 30th, 2008, 07:16 AM
You can write your program in any text editor and save it as a .py file. To run it from terminal, just go to its directory and use:

python program_name.py

That new window, I guess, is just a text editor that comes with Windows Python installation.

Hope that helps.

olejorgen
April 30th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Maybe an idea to include link?

Anyway, it's a fancy way of telling you to open a text editor instead of the python interpreter.

Save the file as NAME.py, open python, and type import NAME. Now all you definitions inside NAME.py will be available.

cartisdm
April 30th, 2008, 07:19 AM
ohhh...duh. I should've known that. On another note, would you recommend using a python editor (like something I just find in Add/Remove programs) or by using a text editor?

samjh
April 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Just use GEdit for the time being.

It's good to have the plugins too:
sudo apt-get install gedit-plugins

Enable the Python console and Embedded Terminal in the Preferences options, and then enable the bottom-section panel.

Now you have a text editor that will do syntax highlighting for Python code, along with an integrated Python interpreter and embedded terminal to execute your Python code! :)