PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems starting Ejabberd

linuxpyro
April 30th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I am trying to set up a Jabber server with Ejabberd. The program installed fine, but I'm having trouble actually getting it to start. When I do sudo ejabberdctl start, I get this error:

RPC failed on the node ejabberd@homer: nodedown

Where homer is my server's hostname. I made sure to set this in the Ejabberd config, in the {hosts, ["homer"]}. line. That hostname also resolves to my machine's IP address in the /etc/hosts file.

The last time I started it, I found this in the sasl log file in /var/log/ejabberd:

=PROGRESS REPORT==== 30-Apr-2008::01:13:44 ===
supervisor: {local,kernel_safe_sup}
started: [{pid,<0.74.0>},
{name,dets},
{mfa,{dets_server,start_link,[]}},
{restart_type,permanent},
{shutdown,2000},
{child_type,worker}]

I'm running Ejabberd 1.1.4-4, as well as Erlang 1:11.b.5dfsg-11. The Ubuntu version is 8.04 Hardy. I searched around and found people mentioning that there could be a problem with this version of Erlang. Anyone have any ideas?

icarus75
December 26th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I've encountered similar error messages from the ejabberd deamon on an identical setup:
ejabberd 1.1.4-4
Erlang 1:11.b.5dfsg-11
Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy

Installing a more recent version of ejabberd did the trick. Just uncomment or add following repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list to allow backports from gutsy to hardy:

deb http://be.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://be.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

Then install the newest ejabberd version from the repository (currently 2.0.1-2).

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ejabberd

Here's a snippet of the output:

Preparing to replace ejabberd 1.1.4-4 (using .../ejabberd_2.0.1-2~hardy1_i386.deb) ...
Stopping jabber server: ejabberd already stopped.
Unpacking replacement ejabberd ...
Setting up ejabberd (2.0.1-2~hardy1) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/default/ejabberd ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/ejabberd ...
Replacing config file /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg with new version
Starting jabber server: ejabberd.

Alter the cfg file to reflect your setup and restart the ejabberd server:

sudo vi /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg
sudo ejabberdctl restart

Don't forget to register the ejabberd admin account. If you still encounter the nodedown error message, try a system reset.

Cheers,
Bart.