PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Problems after upgrade: KDE screams, KDM, Firefox flashes in Gnome, headphones

yodermk
April 30th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Network upgrade from Gutsy, earlier same from Feisty.

Upon logging into KDE3, the system makes a terrible loud whine and pretty much hangs so that I have to hard power-off the laptop. Gnome and KDE4 work OK. Is there something I can do to get back into KDE3?

Upon logging out (of Gnome or KDE4), instead of popping up another KDM login window, I get a black screen. Turns out it is at the text console. Why doesn't KDM start again?

When running Firefox under Gnome+Compiz, every time I open a menu in Firefox or select a drop-down, the FF window flashes black for a fraction of a second. Kind of annoying.

Also I cannot get any sound out of my headphones. I know it worked in Feisty, not sure I tried in Gutsy. I have an ALC882 chip, using the Intel driver.

Any possible solutions for any of this would be appreciated.

Other than this the upgrade worked OK, including with my video (nVidia 7600, laptop+external monitor) and Intel wireless. But these issues are enough to make me cautious about recommending Hardy to anyone at this point. I run Fedora Rawhide at work and have had fewer problems with it!

Thanks!

Coras
May 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Well, I am not having the other problems you mentioned, but I am having the firefox issue where it flashes black on the screen every time I go to the menu. Also there is no border on the program, it shows the menu at the top of the screen covering everything else.

I didn't know how to fix it and couldn't find information on it, so I went back to vista until it goes away but I am keeping an eye on the forums and I saw your post. I am hoping there are others suffering from this issue and there might even be a fix, since I enjoy MythTV over WMC.

Thanks!
Coras

yodermk
May 7th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Coras -- you could always use KDE! Much better than Vista, and I don't have the problem there.

Heck, Gnome without Compiz would probably be OK (just a guess).